S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power and car bucking/stumbling?

Old 11-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power and car bucking/stumbling?

The search has been down recently and I can't wait much longer to get some advice on my problems. It's been about 3 months now since I noticed the car wasn't "feeling right." I feel a noticeable loss of power and even audibly, the engine doesn't sound right. VTEC kicks in, but the car sounds muted compared to the way it was previously. It wasn't like this before. I took it to the dealer and they ran some diagnostics and everything checked out ok, but I'm absolutely positive the change isn't just in my head.

Recently, especially in lower gears, and usually 1st, when I gas it lightly, the car stumbles and bucks really hard. It doesn't go away unless I shift into 2nd. I don't have this issue if I'm just gassing normally in traffic. It's when I'm putting around the parking lot etc., where I've noticed this. Also, sometimes when I'm slowing down from say, 3rd, the rpms kind of hold steady and then surge a little bit before coming down. If I give it a little gas when this happens, the car has a delay where nothing happens and then it jolts forward.

Car just hit 20,000 miles. I dropped in some fuel injector cleaner to see if it would help and no luck there. Could it be a clutch related issue or something else or perhaps a clutch issue combined with some other engine problem? Are there any known issues with the tranny/engine mounts of the S2K? The car is bone stock other than an intake. Anything else I should check for? I'm thinking about getting a compression test done just to make sure it's nothing major, but I'm running out of ideas on what my problem could be. It's driving me nuts and the car is really not enjoyable to drive anymore when it doesn't have that awesome high strung sound that I love to hear! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM

Search being down...So I'll try to recount some of what has been said...
This "situation" is fairly commonly reported when running in 1st gear, slow acceleration or unusual "gassing" where you end up with a "bucking". End comment is to be smoother, rev it up, or change to second gear...I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can better explain...but it is a know and reported/discussed condition.

-Justin
Old 11-14-2005, 08:32 PM

FYI - Manually looking I found this in UTH...
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=335134

-Justin
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 AM

a recent survey indicates that 1 out of every 10 S owners will go crazy from haunting mechanical problems. welcome to the club, mine does buck and it didn't used to.... off to the dEElOR we go.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the bucking, guys.

Now, does anyone have any idea what the power loss and the audible difference in the engine note could be? I just want to get some ideas on what to check for. I won't have any time to do any actual troubleshooting until mid-December, but it would be nice to have a list to check.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 PM

My first guess is the MAP sensor, second one is IAT sensor. The last thing might be coils.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 AM

I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy, I feel like it's getting worse every day too. Im guessing it has something to do w/ the pressure plate/clutch

Sorry for hijacking your thread F1 Racing
Old 11-16-2005, 07:08 PM

could be fuel injection
Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys:

Have your fuel system cleaned at 21,000 miles. I Had the same issue and it really helped when they did it. You can see all the smoke coming from the car when they vaporize the soot; its unreal. With the high revving engine this is a must and jiffy lube does a decent job
Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having problems like yours Honda F1 Racing.

1) It would bog and act like it was going to stall. It did this under very light acceleration and steady cruising around 30 or 40 mph. It would last a second or two and then go away.

2) After a few months that once in a while it became more frequent. It also started to die at idle once every week or two. Before it would die at idle the rpms would dip a couple times, until they dipped too low and it stopped running. I thought up to this point it might be heat bog or something stupid like my driving style, even though I didn't have this problem for the first year and a half.

3) In the past two days its done the next thing twice. I'm cruising at about 30 or 40 miles per hour, the exhaust note changes (sounds dull or muted) and the car sputters, I smell exhaust, and the car dies. Pressing the gas does not provide acceleration, mostly just more sputtering. This happend as I approached a light and the car died soon as I tried to decelerate. It lasted between 6 and 10 seconds. When I tried to start the car it still happened and it took three attempts to get going again. I had to keep starting the car and giving light gas until it simply ran normal again. It almost was like it had gotten flooded or somewthing.

I think this is the same problem only it it slowly getting worse. I'm still troubleshooting this, and after the past couple days I'm placing a lot more effort into figuring it out. I let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Loss of power and car bucking/stumbling?