S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of Power

Old 04-15-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an S2K, but I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem I am having with my Prelude. I have had an intermittent Power Loss problem in my 2001 base 5spd Prelude since last August. The car has around 18,500 miles on it. I took it to the dealer 3 or 4 times and either they couldn't fix the problem, or didn't try hard enough. All they did was a top engine treatment 3 times (which I thought was excessive), and replaced the EGR valve. When my problem happens the car will accellerate very slowly no matter how much gas I give it. This usually happens when the car is all the way warmed up. The car also seems to idle a bit low and dip every once in awhile. The idle is usually at around 500 RPM's but the Helms says it is supposed to be 750 +/- 50. I don't know how accurate the tack is though. I checked the plugs and they looked fine. I also changed out the air filter. I didn't do anything else because of the low miles. The valves do seem to be fluttering pretty loud, I can hear them in the cabin. Would it need a valve adjustment already? I don't drive it very hard at all, and have never missed a shift. Have you guys experienced anything like this, any ideas? All services have been performed at Honda. Only premium gas is used and oil is changed every 3,750 miles. Sorry for the drawn out post, I am just getting very frustrated with the problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try getting an OBD-II datalogger and see what the ECU is saying when the problem occurs.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

I used to have a 99 prelude and had the same problem. Does your steering wheel vibrate at idle sometimes? It seems the low idle was a characteristic of a lot of peoples as well. The other thing to watch for (I dont think this is your problem though but just good to know) is the timing belt auto-tensioner as a lot of them have seemed to fail (mine as well), you will hear it very distinctively on deceleration. Back to topic though, the fix was a valve adjustment, some were too tight, some were too loose, are you the first owner? If not is it possible the odo was rolled back? Another problem I had with acceleration lag turned out to be a bad fuel filter (which would also be weird with such low miles) Keep in mind however that mind had 60k miles, and relatively hard at that, so none of the things I experienced could be the same problems you are having, but just a couple things to keep in mind.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

also, I know this is probably out of the question since it would most likely be followed by a check engine light, but is your vtec engaging?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:31 AM

hondaS2001 - I am the original owner so those are the original miles, I don't put very many miles on in a year. Could the valves be out of spec already at my miles? I don't really drive it very hard. It has never thrown a CEL and the VTEC is still engaging. Although I haven't gotten into VTEC a whole lot since the problem started. Also, I haven't really noticed my steering wheel vibrating at all. Any other ideas for the low power and idle with such low miles? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With only 18K miles in 3+ years, does your car spend time in storage? Maybe gunk built up in the fuel filter from sitting too long?
Also, if you can do a valve adjustment yourself, that would be a good place to start. Just something else to rule out, right?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

try the easiest things first to rule out.... fuel filter (although I remember it being a bitch to get to on that car) , fuel injector cleaner, then if you cant do it yourself, find someone very trustworthy to at least check the valves if not adjust them, if they follow everything in the helms manual its not that big of a deal. The quirks you are having seem similar to mine, not to scare you or anything, but mine had a lot more as the mileage got higher. However, if you stay on top of them and do not let them rack up you should be ok. Did you go on www.honda-acura.net under the prelude forums? There are quite a few knowledgable luders on there, and that is where I used to spend all my time.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:36 PM

do you have mods?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by swtazn97
do you have mods?
thats another good question that no one has asked yet.......
Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 PM

No mods at all, bone stock. I haven't had it 3 years yet. I bought it in late Nov. 2001.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power