S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Losing power while driving!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The immobilizer system is designed in such a way that it does not cut off when the engine is running (it is too dangerous - clearly). That's why I think it shouldn't be the immobilizer.

However, when you simply switch off your car, also the dash goes off and the green key symbol flashes, so it seems that there is a ignition switch(?) problem.

Start up the car in the driveway and wiggle the key (not rotating it) see if that does anything.

Could be a connector on the ignition switch or otherwise you should start checking the IGN fuses or relays (under instrument panel and under the hood) to check if they are not seated properly.

Good luck!!

Siepel
Old 07-10-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update for you all...and I'm not even sure how it makes sense...

Did a battery check last night, and it was fine.

Tried starting and wiggling the key around, but it didn't cause anything to shut down.

Our next step was checking out a crappy aftermarket alarm that had been installed long before I bought it...(the thing never worked correctly, was basically a louder version of the beeping you here when you shut off the car and your lights are still on)...not to mention whoever put this thing in had no idea what proper wiring was all about and it was connected to thing it shouldn't have been...looked like a jumble of electrical taped wires all hung together...yikes!

So we decided to take that pos out and see if that helped. We noticed that some of the wires were coming loose (due to sloppy work) and upon chopping that thing out and re wiring things properly..I got full dash lights and start up (and it didn't randomly power down after leaving it on to warm up and then some)

So. It seems strange to me that after almost a year of having it that this problem would arise, but I guess with things coming loose and just a horrible job on the "alarm" in the first place...who knows. I'm pretty much satisfied with that it runs!

Yay! now I can park my civic!

(again, I know jack about most of this stuff, so I apologize if my explanation makes zero sense what so ever...but I guess that's why I'm here!)
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job! I am glad you found the issue.

It actually doesnt surprise me at all that a shitty alarm/remote start install would cause a problem like this. Alarm installs when done poorly tend to unravel and poor connections will arch/spark and cause all kinds of weird problems

So great job on not getting annihilated by the dealer! My hats off to you and welcome to S2KI
Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoddy workmanship is never a good thing. Alarm systems can work fine for a while and then degrade and cause problems like this if not installed properly.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 AM

I'm pretty happy I didn't have to take it in either and I've got some good guys around that were willing to help me figure out the issue in exchange for a beer/dinner

We're going to solder up the wires tonight to insure nothing comes loose.

Another plus: figured out why my power door locks weren't working (yet another loose connection) and got those up and running too!

I dont know if I can ask this here too, but I really want a new intake...I think it has some cheapo ebay intake on it and its looking a little rough (I saw a few hairline cracks in the metal last night...though it works fine)...any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 AM

The collaboration in this thread is the reason I love S2KI!

Keep up the good work Gals & Guys

Glad your problem was solved!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by white_hott,Jul 10 2009, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty happy I didn't have to take it in either and I've got some good guys around that were willing to help me figure out the issue in exchange for a beer/dinner

Another plus: figured out why my power door locks weren't working (yet another loose connection) and got those up and running too!

I dont know if I can ask this here too, but I really want a new intake...I think it has some cheapo ebay intake on it and its looking a little rough (I saw a few hairline cracks in the metal last night...though it works fine)...any suggestions?
OEM intake is very good, AEM intake is very populer but exposed to hydrolock in wet driving conditions.

Another very popular intake is the K&N FIPK. It makes great power and sounds really good! And you don't need to worry about hydrolocking.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by white_hott,Jul 10 2009, 10:22 AM

If its a cheap ebay intake i wouldnt be surprised if your loosing power. Ditch it! Especially since its cracking.

The OEM airbox is actually excellent for this car and VERY few intakes make power on the S2000. If you still have the OEM airbox put it back on. No more cool sound but your s2000 will thank you. BTW your car looks HOT with the black/white theme.

If your wanting an aftermarket intake then the K&N FIPK is a great choice. A local performance shop just offered me a killer deal on a FIPK. $220 + shipping. They usually run about 300 shipped on ebay. Just throwing it out there if you want.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 AM

I am ditching it, I have a guy looking at pricing for a AEM something or other for me at the shop he's at...I don't have the OEM air box...(or the stock radio..which is a bummer...those controls on the left dont work dmt! among other stock things missing from my car)

The color scheme is was made this my dream car(gpw and a red leather interior)! I really want to paint the rims white...because the black paint is chipping (yet another mistake from my s2k's long past).
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your want to get your dash controls back do an interweb search for a guy named modfry, he makes an electronic gizmo that restores the dash controls for most aftermarket radios on the s2k.

Quick Reply: Losing power while driving!