S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Losing power while driving!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be as simple as a bad battery? I believe the radio/ac/headlight can be run off lower power, I'd assume the dash can too...but I dunno. That osunds really weird.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember an immobilizer flash, but i had similar issues when the alternator went bad in my '04. Of course I would expect it would never restart after that happens, because it would mean the battery doesn't have enough voltage left in it.

Just for kicks, take a voltage measurement on the battery with the car off, and running @ 2000rpm. Should be around 12v with car off, and 14v when running.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on checking the battery first, then if that's not it, move on to more complex diagnoses.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 AM

I'll get right on it when I come home from work. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 AM

could it be the ignition switch itself?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about taking everything off the key ring? I had a one time issue where there was enough other metal around the key to disrupt the signal between the key and dash, immobilizing the car. Simply "jangling" the other keys was sufficient but you might try using ONLY the key to be sure there's nothing in the way.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Jul 9 2009, 05:39 AM
How about taking everything off the key ring? I had a one time issue where there was enough other metal around the key to disrupt the signal between the key and dash, immobilizing the car. Simply "jangling" the other keys was sufficient but you might try using ONLY the key to be sure there's nothing in the way.
I have indeed removed everything from my key ring, tried that the first time it stopped (boy used to tell me it could ruin the starter having heavy things on it) but that doesnt seem to fix the problem.

jsmooney - I thought about that, is it an easy fix? Something I could probably figure out how to change?

Still at work, but will do a battery check when I get home. (I'm mad I have to drive my civic!!! it's gorgeous outside!!!)
Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white_hott,Jul 9 2009, 09:06 AM
I have indeed removed everything from my key ring, tried that the first time it stopped (boy used to tell me it could ruin the starter having heavy things on it) but that doesnt seem to fix the problem.

jsmooney - I thought about that, is it an easy fix? Something I could probably figure out how to change?

Still at work, but will do a battery check when I get home. (I'm mad I have to drive my civic!!! it's gorgeous outside!!!)
wouldn't ruin the starter, it would loosen/eventually corrupt the lock cylinder
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 AM

sry newb speak...told you i had no real idea!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM

hmm..lock cyl might make sense, since if it doesnt read that you have the key turned to "ON" the symptoms you describe are spot on - radio works, lights work, hazards work.

The next time it does this, try jiggle the ignition key in "RUN" see if you get any dash illumination. Could be a bad contact -although I dont see why it would do this sporadically...unless its after like a "bump" on the road, and I dont see why this would magically fix itself too.

Quick Reply: Losing power while driving!