S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Losing power while driving!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing power while driving!

Hi everyone! I'm a new one here and ofcourse the first thing I come for are answers *hopefully* (I've done a few board searches and read through the sticky's but no luck) And I'm sorry, I haven't got a code as of yet...

Car: 2000 s2k with about 104K miles, has after market intake and is lowered and thats it to my knowledge (car was bought for me and I think those are the only changes it came with)

So last Friday (6/26) I was cruising around running errands car was doing fine, not pushing it hard, just doing the speed limit, no vtec... when all ofa sudden (doing about 45 mph on a busy road) the green "key" light on my dash flashes, the dash lights all cut off (nothing else blinked), and the car shut off. Power steering seemed to go to as it was hard as heck to get it over to the half shoulder I had.

Ofcourse I freaked, called the boyfriend, called his friend who works on cars...all that, becasue turning the key, I got my radio, headlights and emergency blinkers, but nothing else. My push start wasnt doing anything, no dash lights what so ever.

About three minutes later, I got dash lights and a start up. It proceeds to do this about 2 more times on my way home.

Fast forward to today (after a week and a half of it sitting still because I was away and then took another car to work the past few days) and I decide...what the hell, maybe something got hot...I'll go take it for a quick ride. I made it about 5 miles in a loop back to my house...upon reaching, I feel ike I want to try for more...but about 50 feet from my house I get my dreaded situation all over again...key light, no dash, engine cuts off...the whole nine. So I call my buddy and we pushed it back to the spot...

As I said, no codes pulled yet, no recent work, no recent trouble/noises...fluids are good.

Any ideas for a car newb like me???

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to the forum. i have seen this happen rarely and i can tell you it has something to do with the immobilizer. I cannot remember where i read about this and i also tried searching.

I know someone here will get you fixed up. Where are you located? Once you find a solution maybe a local s2000 guru can help you fix it without the local dealer screwing you big time.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks so much! I was reading in my manual and thought it could be something like that or the starter...but I know close to nothing about cars save checking fluids and basics like that so I didnt want to jump to conclusions...and taking it to the dealer flat out suck becasue you're right, they can drain the wallet big time.

I'm located in Annapolis, MD if anyone's close by!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

how long have you had your S?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Since late August of 2008.

I remember in highschool seeing them come out and I wanted a grandprix white with a red leather interior...and finally got it!!! yay!

I love it.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Congrats on the purchase - Is your key old? Maybe the imob. is faulty somehow? Is your car key OEM Honda?

Anyone know if the immobilizer cuts only power to the ignition and not to radio and the like? I can test it out for you if no one answers...I have a couple keys cut without chips.

If it does turn out that the immob cuts only the ignition, thats most likely your problem - eithier get a new key or a new computer.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:51 PM

I've only got one key with the car (others probably lost since its been through a few owners...it's been from Ohio to Florida and back up to Maryland)...but it is a Honda key and yeah, its about as old as the car

I bet a new key would be cheaper than a new computer! I think I could try that first...would you mind testing it out? (on a safe road ofcourse?) It happened today after about 10 minutes of driving if that helps...the first day just out of the blue and about 7 mins in between stops)
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM

^Yeah, if with my non-chipped key allows my radio and stuff to stay on, I'd suspect that as your problem.. Ill try it out and get back to you.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Alright, I just tried it out.

Does this happen:
When your power cuts out, when you try to start the car back up, it will turn over (starter kicks in) but it wont fire?

With the unchipped key, everything would start up (radio, ac, whateveR) but the car would not ignite/get fuel.

If that IS your symptom, the most likely you have a bad key/bad immobilizer.

Take it to the dealership to find out which it is, and get it fixed!

good luck
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM

When my power cuts out and i try to restart immediatley, I get nothing, no dash lights or power there whats so ever (but I get radio/ac/headlights), and no start. after a few minutes I get a dash and start.

I guess I'm off tomorrow to see if this might help. Thanks

Any other experiences/ideas are welcome!

Quick Reply: Losing power while driving!