S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

loose steering problem

Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 AM

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts
Default loose steering problem

once i got my car back together from the diff dillema and clutch install there is a lot of play in my steering wheel that wasnt there before. you can jiggle the steering wheel about 1/2-3/4 of an inch either way now with no resistance. it definitely did not have this play before.

only 2 things i can see in the manual are adjusting the rack guide with a locknut tool i dont own and something about setting the neutral position of the EPS(but i didnt remove the rack or replace it i just unplugged it for the clutch install.)

also if i have someone jiggle the steering wheel and i look at the torque sensor i can see the free play before it starts to engage the rack.

anyone else seen this issue and know the best remedy? its driving me crazy with the loose play especially when im on the freeway and the wheels are moving independent of the steering wheel and i keep having to counter it.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a clutch install myself (with help) back in August and recently I noticed freeplay in the steering wheel. I can't be sure if I had the freeplay before though. The universal joint which was touched during clutch install doesn't seem to show any slack. I traced the slack down to somewhere inside the rack. I re-adjusted the rack preload but no luck. You don't need the special tool to loosen the big lock nut on the rack. Pipe wrench (and move airbox out of the way) did the job quite nicely. Although the slack is still within spec, I'd still like to fix it if possible.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:22 PM

I just re-read your post about the extent of your slack. 1/2-3/4" is quite a lot. It's out of spec (0.39"). FYI, I have about 5mm. It's still well within spec, but it's still the biggest slack on all cars with R&P steering I've driven. If I were you, I would narrow down the source of the slack. Have someone jiggle the wheel slightly and you try to locate the slack. First check the universal joint. Then, check ball joints on the knuckles. If all else fails, check/adjust R&P play in the rack. Like I said earlier, pipe wrench and moving airbox out of the way are good enough to be able to loosen the big lock nut, though getting the pipe wrench on the lock nut can be tricky.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Take it to dealer...I had the same issue 3 years ago.
They replaced a part near steering column (don't remember what it is called) but it fixed the issue. They tried adjustment with no luck and finally figured out the issue.