S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds

Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange' timestamp='1393860546' post='23043341
Well I just changed my front calipers, as well as all the rotors and pads. The car does feel a lot better, but I think it is in a different way. The car still vibrates a lot. I can say about 65-70 mph and then 75-80mph are the worst speeds for vibrations. Also it still feels really weird. Like the back is being pushed when my wheel is slightly off center, which is all the time because my steering wheel feels like its being pushed around. I couldn't check the subframe alignment when doing the brakes because I couldn't find them and we were in a rush because people were waiting to use the jackstands I was borrowing. The car feels mostly ok in the corners, but at high speeds it just feels like shit.

I'm gonna go get the balance checked again. I tried to check my tire pressure but all of the gas stations were either out of service in the air machines, or they had some weird dumbed down air pump that wouldn't tell me any actual info except that my tires were 'filled up'. (Seriously, wtf).

My brother suggested that maybe I have cupped or abnormally worn tires. I'm hesitant to replace the tires on this car because they might not even be the problem. Other than getting a new balance, alignment, and tire pressure checked by someone with a working gauge, what are my options?

[quote name='TonysMI4' timestamp='1393629744' post='23040122']
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.... FIND OUT WHAT IT IS SO I CAN FIX MINE TOO!.

I'v been going crazy with mine having the same crap going on.

2007 AP2 with 61,000 miles.

Tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE760

1.65mph and up I get a vibration from the rear. Seems like its from the pass side but not sure.
2. car feels swirly of sorts.
3. I can make the vibration get better and worse just by applying a small amount of pressure to the gas pedal "o%-3% pedal"
4. I can let go of the steering wheel and make the car pull one way or the other VERY BAD by just pressing on the gas pedal VERY LITTLE.

What I have done to try and fix it.

1.Checked, checked and rechecked the tire pressure in ALL tires. ALL is fine.
2.Installed Innovative Diff mounts. (SEEMS TO MAKE IT WORSE).
3.Installed new wheel bearings in the rear.
4.Have had 2 different shops do an alignment on it.
5.Brand New tires all around "Bridgestone Potenza RE760"
6.checked all bolts in the rear and front.
7.Did the CV axel cup change.

IM LOST!! I'm at the point when I drive I hope someone totals out my car!
Sounds like we have similar issues. If you solve your woes be sure to let me know what's up, and I'll return the favor if I do.

It would defintely help if you posted some pictures of the tires you currently have in their current state...
[/quote]

I'll get that picture sometime today when I'm back at my apartment.
Originally Posted by iamxpL
have you changed your diff oil recently?
Diff was replaced at 70k miles, first replaced after the break in at 500 miles with 75w140. So its been about 4000 miles since my last diff oil change.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gottabfast
High speed instability sounds like toe issues. Either 1 rear wheel or your total toe between front and rear. Subframe bolts to body being tight is first thing to check, if they're moving/shifting you're going to be chasing your tail with everything else. Once you confirm those, try another alignment check with tire pressures set.

High speed vibration...steering wheel? Pedals? Floor? Seat? Depending on where you feel the vibration, it could be tires, diff, driveshaft or propshaft. Usually driveshaft is lower speeds, but it can also have an odd 3rd order vibration that occurs at higher speeds as a buzz. Has the vibration been there all along or did that start at a different time than the instability?
My vibration starts around 65mph and is heard and felt coming from the rear pass side. ((Sounds like..... Wa Wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa ..... Like a tire sound or something but I had everything check out and said to be ok. Im going to change my tires around and see if the sounds moves to the other side. I'll do that in a few dsays when I have the time and post back.

I'd post a pic of my tires but they are 100% new so no need to. RE760

have you changed your diff oil recently?
About 1000 miles ago but it was before all this started.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Diff was replaced at 70k miles, first replaced after the break in at 500 miles with 75w140. So its been about 4000 miles since my last diff oil change.
so you got a new diff? did you have this problem before the new diff?

i see you changed your front calipers, did you check the rear calipers? people have reported vibrations from a sticking rear caliper. ( this applies to you both )
Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 AM

so you got a new diff? did you have this problem before the new diff?

i see you changed your front calipers, did you check the rear calipers? people have reported vibrations from a sticking rear caliper. ( this applies to you both )

I did notice the problem a little bit before replacing the diff. The rear calipers didn't give much resistance when I compressed the piston.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM

]
Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange' timestamp='1393860546' post='23043341
Well I just changed my front calipers, as well as all the rotors and pads. The car does feel a lot better, but I think it is in a different way. The car still vibrates a lot. I can say about 65-70 mph and then 75-80mph are the worst speeds for vibrations. Also it still feels really weird. Like the back is being pushed when my wheel is slightly off center, which is all the time because my steering wheel feels like its being pushed around. I couldn't check the subframe alignment when doing the brakes because I couldn't find them and we were in a rush because people were waiting to use the jackstands I was borrowing. The car feels mostly ok in the corners, but at high speeds it just feels like shit.

I'm gonna go get the balance checked again. I tried to check my tire pressure but all of the gas stations were either out of service in the air machines, or they had some weird dumbed down air pump that wouldn't tell me any actual info except that my tires were 'filled up'. (Seriously, wtf).

My brother suggested that maybe I have cupped or abnormally worn tires. I'm hesitant to replace the tires on this car because they might not even be the problem. Other than getting a new balance, alignment, and tire pressure checked by someone with a working gauge, what are my options?

[quote name='TonysMI4' timestamp='1393629744' post='23040122']
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.... FIND OUT WHAT IT IS SO I CAN FIX MINE TOO!.

I'v been going crazy with mine having the same crap going on.

2007 AP2 with 61,000 miles.

Tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE760

1.65mph and up I get a vibration from the rear. Seems like its from the pass side but not sure.
2. car feels swirly of sorts.
3. I can make the vibration get better and worse just by applying a small amount of pressure to the gas pedal "o%-3% pedal"
4. I can let go of the steering wheel and make the car pull one way or the other VERY BAD by just pressing on the gas pedal VERY LITTLE.

What I have done to try and fix it.

1.Checked, checked and rechecked the tire pressure in ALL tires. ALL is fine.
2.Installed Innovative Diff mounts. (SEEMS TO MAKE IT WORSE).
3.Installed new wheel bearings in the rear.
4.Have had 2 different shops do an alignment on it.
5.Brand New tires all around "Bridgestone Potenza RE760"
6.checked all bolts in the rear and front.
7.Did the CV axel cup change.

IM LOST!! I'm at the point when I drive I hope someone totals out my car!
Sounds like we have similar issues. If you solve your woes be sure to let me know what's up, and I'll return the favor if I do.

It would defintely help if you posted some pictures of the tires you currently have in their current state...
[/quote]

Here are the pictures:

[attachment=54922:40935D01-EA62-4358-BA44-F5ABAE7EA7E9.jpg]

[attachment=54923:5DA0BC94-4625-4CA6-82E7-0D187DE952CD.jpg]

To my eye I don't really see any wear at all. I've had the car almost 6 months and they haven't worn as far as I can see.
Attached Thumbnails Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds-40935d01-ea62-4358-ba44-f5abae7ea7e9.jpg   Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds-5da0bc94-4625-4ca6-82e7-0d187de952cd.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM

looks like even wear. running your hand over it will verify that.

can you support vehicle on jack stands or lift, set cruise control @ highway speeds. observe and inspect for vibration or noise.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 PM

I can do that.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 AM

That noise could be tire, bearing, or diff.

What was the condition of the previous tires when you put the new ones on? Was the noise or vibration around with the previous tires or did it sound different?

I'm assuming you've checked for play in the wheel and that it spins freely. If you can put it on jackstands and get under it, have somebody spin the wheels and listen for grinding noise at the diff or the knuckle with a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear. Grab the inboard cups and see if there's excessive play side to side/front to back in either side of the diff. Also, check the effort it takes to spin both wheels by hand. If there's a big difference side to side that would be a big clue about the noise and instability. Look for any excessive play/backlash in the driveshafts too.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Ok y'all, hopefully this will be the final update as I seemed to have fixed the problem.

Spring break is this week, so I've been doing stuff to my car the last three days:

-Re checked tire pressure with a different gauge. Front driver's tire was at 38 psi and all the other tires were at 36 psi. This gauge is accurate because I tested it on my dad's truck which has TPMS. I let air out til the gauge read 32 PSI on each tire. Car still drove like shit at that point.

-When changing the oil I had the car on the lift and I checked the subframe alignment. Looked ok, and I was able to get a screwdriver in the holes.

-When I told some other owners about my problem while we went on a cruise (after I embarrassed myself by driving like a granny), they said it was probably an alignment issue. I had just gotten an alignment at a shop near my school, but I'm home this week so I decided to go to the shop where I had gotten alignments done on my old car the last 2 years. They showed me the spec sheet and the alignment was indeed off as I suspected. The car no longer pulls to the right and it feels a lot more planted, though the tires still suck, but that is for another time.

-The car still vibrated above 75mph, and I had already done the prop shaft swap, so I decided to get the tires balanced at this same shop since I trusted them. The car no longer shakes now!

Honestly, that was the best $150 I have spent on this car (other than maybe replacing the differential, as it was legitimately broken). I've attached a spec sheet of the alignment to show how it was and how it is now. The shop I went to has a 1 year warranty on their alignments, so if the problem comes back I know where to go!

To anyone else having issues like this, seriously just check the alignment at a good shop, don't let a shop you don't trust send you astray.

As promised:[attachment=55483:B4AFD595-AE8A-47BD-950B-6CBEFEF7B736.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds-b4afd595-ae8a-47bd-950b-6cbefef7b736.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

awesome! glad you got it solved.

Quick Reply: Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds