S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds

Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdelena
I have three tire pressure gauges and all are different... I had a fourth but it was consistently low so I threw it away. I doubt that a minor variation is causing your problem but it always good to question tool calibration.
Actual pressure is not as critical as variation between left and right. On my gauge I run 40PSI front and 36PSI rear on Hankook RS3 tires. If I use Jay's gauge, I run 46 front and 42 rear. It's actually the same pressures, just that much variation between gauges.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
I would do the wheels before all of that, shouldn't be hard to find someone. What condition are the tires at the moment?

Levi
Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
I would do the wheels before all of that, shouldn't be hard to find someone. What condition are the tires at the moment?
Ah ok, good point. They don't look that worn. No camber wear, and they don't make a lot of noise either.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:02 AM

I'm going to swap wheels with someone this afternoon, and I'm gonna also give the alignment shop a call and see if they can just show me the specs. I still have the receipt from when they last did the alignment. I'll update here when I have more info. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM

if you do as i asked i might be able to help you pinpoint the issue... from page 1 (long shot but trying)

controlling the variables is the easist way to find out an issue.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your description, it sounds like the toe adjustment is out. Don't forget that slight toe out in front can cause some really weird and wonky feelings. Some drivers will swear it's the rear, when it's actually the front.

But, if I had to guess, I'd say your rear toe is incorrect. The second guess would be tire choice/pressure.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKay
if you do as i asked i might be able to help you pinpoint the issue... from page 1 (long shot but trying)

I'll be doing about 25 minutes on the highway today, so I will try what you said and report back. Thank you

Originally Posted by cujet
From your description, it sounds like the toe adjustment is out. Don't forget that slight toe out in front can cause some really weird and wonky feelings. Some drivers will swear it's the rear, when it's actually the front.

But, if I had to guess, I'd say your rear toe is incorrect. The second guess would be tire choice/pressure.
I'm hoping that's all it is. The shop I went to is highly rated, so I took their word for it. I guess that was foolish. After today I should at least be able to rule out tire and air pressure, assuming the ones I am swapping are ok.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKay

I'll be doing about 25 minutes on the highway today, so I will try what you said and report back. Thank you

Originally Posted by cujet

I'm hoping that's all it is. The shop I went to is highly rated, so I took their word for it. I guess that was foolish. After today I should at least be able to rule out tire and air pressure, assuming the ones I am swapping are ok.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

It does sound like rear toe. But assumming the alignment shop aren't idiots, and its well within spec, how could toe be off? Well if rear toe arm bushings are shot, then the rear toe will change under load.

That is why toe arm bushings was on my list of things to check.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM

I have an update.

I met with another S2000 owner yesterday to swap wheels, and the results were somewhat inconclusive. First of all, on the drive out to meet him, it was pouring rain outside, so checking the handling was difficult. When I first got on the highway, I knew right away the stuck caliper was getting worse. The car was vibrating a lot, and making a very loud roaring noise while I was on the highway for about a mile or two, until the caliper eventually retracted. When I arrived at the meeting spot, the front driver's side wheel was blazing hot.

We swapped wheels, and I went for a drive. He has 225/255 tires, while I have 215/235 (I'm changing them when the weather warms up). The steering was heavier because he has wider tires, and the car did not pull side to side, and generally felt more solid. I thought this confirmed an issue with my wheels/tires, but then we drove his car with my wheels on. His car felt perfectly normal (well, it has a turbo so not 'normal'). When we swapped the wheels back my car was driving not as tight as when his wheels were on, but it didn't feel nearly as bads as it did on the drive over.

Now I'm just even more confused. When the car was on jacks I checked the bearings again, and there was no play at all in the wheels. I also checked the tie rod ends on the front as best I could, and it was also feeling nice and tight.

So this has left me even more confused. All I can do now is check out my mounts and bushings again on monday, and then change out my brakes and rebuild the caliper(s) in a couple weeks when I'm visiting my parents and can use my tools.

Quick Reply: Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds