S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds

Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Mine felt strange at the back today,i just poly bushed rear toe arms thought they had come loose!!,
so thought would check tyre psi rears were 32/33 psi i run all at 34psi..<as recommended>

=Sorted
very tyre sensitive,I Must get a psi gauge..

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 <17">
run mine at 28 psi or else i get over-inflation wear. running bfgood 245 on rear
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM

I had the same symptoms as the OP and it was due to excessive rear toe

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Orange
Wow totally didn't know that. So I should go back to the shop with the specs I want my car in, and ask them to get it to those specs?
You could take it back and ask if they have your specific measurements from when they did the alignment, and if they don't, IMO they *should* be willing to measure again to get that for you without charging you.

If the rear toe is greater than maybe ~0.45 degrees total, you might ask them to knock it down to 0.2-0.3 degrees.
Front toe should be near zero. If it's more than maybe -.15 degrees total, you might have them zero it.
Also note the other measurements. I don't know what your usage is, but for me, a good street-only alignment should have at *least* -.5 degrees front camber and -1 rear. As far as I'm concerned, even on the street, as much as -2, even -2.5 isn't that bad for wear *as long as toe is reasonably minimized*.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I was also going to suggest rear tires. They could look fine, have correct air, but still have issues. Swap wheels with someone to rule them out.

Also as was suggested hy others, and a couple more of mine:

- rear diff bushings
- rear subframe alignment (search on here. There are alignment holes in subframe. You stick screwdriver or similar into hole, make sure it goes through both subframe and body holes. You do this for all the holes)
- rear subframe bolts (make sure they are torqued down properly)
- rear control arm bushings
- rear toe alignment specs (get that printout!)
- rear toe arm bushings (if these are worn, toe can effectively change with load, which sounds suspiciously like what you describe)
Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sidewall flex?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was very surprised when I changed the rear wheel bearings and hubs on my car... it made a real difference in handling at all speeds. So much so that I went ahead and did the front wheel bearings and got a good improvement in tracking, turn-in, and high speed control.

You cannot tell anything by shaking the wheel by hand... there is a procedure to measure if end play is within .05 mm, although most of us find the problem when they are way out and creating noise.

Wheel bearing issues are not uncommon with S2000's due to bad torque specs, owners using wheels with large variance to stock offsets, and hard driving with r-comp tires.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM

Ok so here's what I'm going to do:

Go see my mechanic and check the following:
-inspect all of the mounts
-inspect control arms and bushings again
-check the wheel bearings again, and try to be more scrutinizing
-check subframe alignment
-double check the tire pressure with a different gauge, perhaps mine is wrong?

If that yields nothing, I will go to the alignment shop and ask to see the specs for the toe and camber. I

Assuming the alignment is good, I'll try to find someone local who can swap wheels for a little bit and drive the car around.

Failing that, I will change out the brakes and fix the stuck caliper(s) and make sure the brakes are at 100%.

If that doesn't work, then I'll start looking into replacing the hubs and bearings, and also swap the CV cups just for good measure.

I've got nothing if that doesn't fix it. I guess I'll just torch it and call my insurance /s
Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by silverstone05
Sidewall flex?
Doesn't really have that feeling. The rear is firm over bumps, it just sways side to side. I had some relatively soft Continental DW tires on my old S2000 and it never felt anything like this.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would do the wheels before all of that, shouldn't be hard to find someone. What condition are the tires at the moment?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have three tire pressure gauges and all are different... I had a fourth but it was consistently low so I threw it away. I doubt that a minor variation is causing your problem but it always good to question tool calibration.

Quick Reply: Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds