S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds

Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
Rear wheel bearings OK?
Last time I had it on the lift we spun the wheels and wiggled them, and they felt fine. They also don't make any noise when I'm just driving around slowly.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Did it do it before the diff was put in?

I wouldn't suspect mounts. You can control that (and i'm sure you have). Any vibrating noise when you slalom at those speeds?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKay

I wouldn't suspect mounts. You can control that (and i'm sure you have). Any vibrating noise when you slalom at those speeds?

I can't remember if it was exactly like this before I changed the diff. What do you mean control that? And this may be unrelated, but when I am either reversing or starting, sometimes I hear a noise, like some slack is being taken up in something suddenly. It isn't the axle nut, I had that on my last car. Vibrations occur on the highway above 70mph. I don't really slalom, but when going down the road, if I move the steering wheel back and forth slightly, the car sways a lot. No vibration is caused by that though.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

im no expert at the matter but im pretty sure it would cause funny characteristics if the rear subframe was mis-aligned.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine was doing this a few months ago. Changed rear tires and all was good again!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^I was going to suggest that too.
Levi
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM

I guess I'll see if someone has spare wheels to swap and see if that's the problem. Right now there are Falken FK452s on the rear.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Tire construction/type - Usually the #1 cause

-Tire pressure

-Toe alignment ...and ride height because that effect dynamic toe change -/+

Worn rear suspension/bushings
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Orange
Originally Posted by DeeKay' timestamp='1392831858' post='23023394

I can't remember if it was exactly like this before I changed the diff. What do you mean control that? And this may be unrelated, but when I am either reversing or starting, sometimes I hear a noise, like some slack is being taken up in something suddenly. It isn't the axle nut, I had that on my last car. Vibrations occur on the highway above 70mph. I don't really slalom, but when going down the road, if I move the steering wheel back and forth slightly, the car sways a lot. No vibration is caused by that though.
what i mean by controlling is this.

When you make a turn at high way speeds you can do it while putting a load on the drive line, you can also do this by putting ZERO load on the drive line. take corner at highway speeds at zero acceleration, take foot off gas pedal (before, during, after, turn), is concern still there? take turn at high way speeds while accelerating (putting load on drive line), is concern still there? is the concern there for both conditions or just one? For the first test you are testing the coast side of the drive line, the second test is testing the load side of drive line.

If your concern is present or not present for both tests than the drive line is probably not the focus of this concern. if the concern is only available turning a coast or load test, than the drive line is probably a decent starting point.

At high way speeds if you swerve left to right, if a wheel bearing is out, you will hear and feel it when you slalom, on one side or the other. turning left puts load on right wheel bearings and vice versa.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Mine felt strange at the back today,i just poly bushed rear toe arms thought they had come loose!!,
so thought would check tyre psi rears were 32/33 psi i run all at 34psi..<as recommended>

=Sorted
very tyre sensitive,I Must get a psi gauge..

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 <17">

Quick Reply: Loose rear end when driving at highway speeds