S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loose oil filter + Greddy oil filter question

Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Loose oil filter + Greddy oil filter question

Hi folks,

I am using the PCX oil filter and I am runnning a Trust/Greddy oil cooler with adaptor for my Defi oil pressure + temp gauge.

I have recently had two other owners have their oil filter come off / become loose resulting in oil starvation. They had to overhaul their engines shortly after as the conrod bearings were damaged.

I have done a search on this and will be fabricating a custom oil filter stopper but I would like to ask a specific question.

How many owners with:
1. stock oil filter + 2. Oil cooler + 3. Oil gauges

have faced the issue of a loose oil filter?

In my case, it seems like 10-15% of users have this problem (small sample size though)

Also, I was told that the Greddy oil filter has one more circle of threading on the inside of the oil filter. This is supposed to make it more secure.
Anyone know if this is true? How much different is the Greddy oil filter besides the threading?

Personally I prefer to use the stock PCX filter with oil filter stopper as the Greddy costs 3x that of the stock. However, I may consider the Greddy as a safety option before trackdays.

Hope to have your sharing...
Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2cents, I dont fit into the choices you put, but I believe the problem with filters coming loose (from what I have read) is that the owners dont tighten the filters enough. The s2k oil filter has to be tightened much more than hand tight - which is usually what most people set their cars to.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Jun 4 2009, 05:41 PM
Just my 2cents, I dont fit into the choices you put, but I believe the problem with filters coming loose (from what I have read) is that the owners dont tighten the filters enough. The s2k oil filter has to be tightened much more than hand tight - which is usually what most people set their cars to.
Unfortunately in both cases that have occurred, cars were running stock PCX oil filters and were not hand tightened only. Both were serviced at professional shops.

A pretty worrying statistic.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They didn't do it right. Plain and simple. The filter is metal on metal. There is no way that's coming off if torqued correctly. If you're that worried about it, wrap a pipestrap around the filter and tie-wire it in place.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I've used a Greddy adapter block since 2002. Never had any issues with filters coming loose.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Please keep the feedback coming. Your sharing is vital.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM

according to feedback in this thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=245303&st=50

might happen to anyone.

it says here the greddy filter has aluminium body so scoring and the thread might get screwed.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Run an oem pcx filter. It fits fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 PM

quick note. I was in a hurry to run to the track day so i got the j's oil filter stopper fitted. The workshop doing the install told me that the hose clamp that came with the kit was rather poor quality and used another more robust to clamp the filter tightly. they tightened up everything and i'm looking at a totally dry joint despite numerous checks. looking good!

one downer: I was in a real rush to change oils and had gone to a previous shop to do a lockwire setup. they only had the smaller oem honda filter so they used that plus a lockwire (which I later abandoned as a seasoned racer told me that it wasnt particularly suitable and advised me to try the filter stopper which had a very robust bracket.)

the smaller honda filter sucks. peak oil pressures are down by 0.3 bar and at high rpms it wobbles a bit by maybe 0.1 ~ 0.2 bar. I will throw this out before my next trackday.

NEVER use the smaller oem filter! SIZE DOES MATTER LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCX filter is a metal to metal, as SgtB says. I have to use a tool to take it off -if it has been put on properly. The K&N filter has a safetywire hole and the wrap mount seem to both work well. I just try to back the filter off and the oil cap by hand each track day.

Quick Reply: Loose oil filter + Greddy oil filter question