S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is loose bolts on the suspension bad on the chassi

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is loose bolts on the suspension bad on the chassi

ok so i got the new tein flex coilovers and there great and i was detailing the engine and happen to notice that the two bolts that hold the suspension on the chassie were loose on both sides on the driver and passenger! so then i ask myself maybe this is why i have that stupid anoying squeaking noise and then i ask should i just tighten them with the wheel on or off....and if so whatever way i get the advice from how much do i need to tighten them cuz im sure as hell its not a good thing to have them loose like that espesciallly if you can loosen them by hand! the instructions don't give much detail so anyone that has done coilovers before....HELP ASAP!!! I hope people understand what i mean by the two bolts and not the part that you can adjust to make it stiffer or softer
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM

With the suspension under load(your car on the ground will work), the top two flange nuts should be torqued to 36lbf-ft. This is the factory spec for the front damper, so it should get you in the ballpark with the Teins.

Did you install the coil-overs? Did you tighten the bottom flange bolt to 47lbf-ft? This should be done under load, take off the wheel and jack up the suspension until the car just comes off the jack stand.

~Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 PM

your car is sweet! but im new to this language term so i guess ur gonna have to break it down barney style for me to understand sorry my gerbal takes a long time to get his wheel going lol, but by underload do u mean just tighten them with tires on and all the wieght on the suspension???? and the other part with the bottom flange part i dont see another bolt on the other side but it looks secure and i obvisously have to take off the wheel and jack up the car to fix that right to the specs, sorry for being so unknowledgeable but im learning. and i didn't do them i had a guy do it for me he works at the shop i bought them from and did it on the side for a buck 75 which aint bad i guess since i have no idea what the hell im doing lol can i buy a tool from like autozone that has torque specs to do it cuz i was just gonna tighten them by hand!! thanx for the help
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to buy a torque wrench and matching metric socket set and tighten all the parts associated with your new coilovers to the correct specifications while the weight of the car is on the suspension.
You should ask for your money back. You should not drive your car until this is done. You could die, or worse yet, kill someone else. There are several coilover DIY's with pictures. Here are 2!

suspension install

KWV3 install