S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Locked steering wheel in cold weather?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked steering wheel in cold weather?

So... around 14 degrees here in Oklahoma... I go out and start my car, and I CANNOT move the steering wheel.

It doesn't fee like its the power steering as I would be able to move the wheels with brute force without it, but they won't budge at all. There is still some slight play in the wheel to move side to side about an inch each way.

After the car warms up to 3-4 bars ('04 S2K) the steering kicks loose and I'm able to turn the wheels fine.

Is this a safety feature with the S2000? My Friend with an '01 is having a similar issue.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 242 Likes on 181 Posts

It is not a safety feature. Perhaps a problem with the power steering motor (its integrated into the rack) or with the rack itself.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Not normal.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar situation when it got a bit cold here in miami, but after the cold front went away, the power steering came back. I didnt lose it completely but it just was acting funny.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EPS dash light on or flashing?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No EPS light on... nothing at all.

I have an aftermarket steering wheel (no airbag), don't think that would matter much though...

Thanks for the help!! Any other ideas anyone?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any answers on this? I'm having this problem currently and and stranded with the S 100 miles from home >_<
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 AM

I got the steering unlocked but it's getting annoying and using brute force like that does not seem healthy. When I'm driving locally it's fine but once the wind begins to pick up like on the highway, the steering wheel starts to get sticky.

Any help would be appreciated. This seems to be a common problem that has not really been addressed properly on the forums.

Thanks guys,
-Ri.Le
Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the only info I can find related to your problem:

http://www.importknights.co.za/s2000/s2000...ction=printpage

Did you do any river crossings recently? Have you tried letting the car warm up for a while to see if that helps the steering problem?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Dec 10 2010, 10:17 AM
This is the only info I can find related to your problem:

http://www.importknights.co.za/s2000/s2000...ction=printpage

Did you do any river crossings recently? Have you tried letting the car warm up for a while to see if that helps the steering problem?
No river crossings no.

Thanks for the info though.

Today it was 11 degrees Fahrenheit out. The wheel was locked solid. I was able to wiggle the steering wheel but i don't think it was actually rotating and i think i was just twisting the wheel/column. I tried doing it with one hand from outside while looking at the wheels and they did t even wiggle the slightest bit.

I let the car warm up for 30 minutes with 3 bars and no progress. In the end i just forced the wheel to turn and got it to budge. Once it budges the lock is completely gone so I'm thinking it's sticking overnight. Maybe freezing?

Also as i mentioned earlier, driving locally i the wheel is normal but while on the highway with more wind, the wheel sticks and gets heavy. When the weather was warmer i had no problems until the weather turned subfreezing. This is and the highway thing is how i came to the determination that something must be freezing up.

Earlier in the week it was in the 20's and i experienced the samething but less intense lock. Actually after warming up the car for 10-15 minutes during this time semi-defrosted the steering and it came loose much more easily. Still stuck but the "ice was thinner".

I checked around the forums and found a few other threads with owners who had the same problem, and symptoms but no real answers were ever posted by anyone.

If we can figure this out and maybe find a solution, I believe it'll be beneficial for the forums.

Thanks,
-Ri.Le

Quick Reply: Locked steering wheel in cold weather?