S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

locked put of gear any ideas

Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locked put of gear any ideas

Hi guys, I'm back with a new problem as I always have. For a reliable car I seem to have the worst luck.

I was wondering if any one could give me an idea to what my problem sounds like.

When the engines running I cannot get in to any gear.i have to turn the engine off to select a gear. I've tried a new master and slave clutch cylinder and lines bled the lines for air many times and it fixed nothing. I had a new clutch n flywheel about 1000 miles ago so I'm thinking it's an internal problem maybe the pressure plates not making pressure or the throw out bearing has gone? I can't think of anything else. I can't think what else it would be as you wouldn't get every synchro go at the same time and the linkages would be a problem whether the engines running or not.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 AM

I'm having the same exact issues. I am going to drop the bellhousing and check the throw out bearing next.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

There's no bell housing to drop. Even so, throwout bearing is not the problem.

Dragging clutch disc 100%. Incomplete disengagement due to master cylinder adjustment, or botched disc install.

It is typically easy to feel if the clutch pedal and hydraulics/adjustment is at fault in this case.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 AM

Ah well as I thought the master cylinder adjustment was low on the old one this one has been fully extended out. So botched disc install is the only real problem it could be?

Thanks for getting back to me. I was really hoping not to have to open it up again due to the cost of it as I don't have the equipment my self.

What sort of damage am I looking at to the clutch if any? Just so I know whether to buy a new one or not for when I do have it opened?

Thanks for the replying.
I also found it odd that the other day I moved it off the drive and it went in and out of all gears perfectly for a little while then locked me out again. This car know how to toy with my emotions.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by a.sunnucks
Thanks for getting back to me. I was really hoping not to have to open it up again due to the cost of it as I don't have the equipment my self.

What sort of damage am I looking at to the clutch if any? Just so I know whether to buy a new one or not for when I do have it opened?

I also found it odd that the other day I moved it off the drive and it went in and out of all gears perfectly for a little while then locked me out again. This car know how to toy with my emotions.
If someone else did the work for you and they mis-installed something, or used wrong parts, or bolts not torqued and loosening over time, then you shouldn't be paying any more for them to correct their mistake. Bolts working loose would fit with initially OK, but getting worse over time. Might also explain intermittent symptoms. Obviously that's a guess, but I once had the flywheel bolts work loose two or three weeks after a shop overhauled the automatic trans in my truck. (Which they repaired no charge, once we saw what had happened.)

You don't know what's wrong until it's open. It may not be parts at all, or just new bolts.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Yeah I think it maybe to late to take it back now though as I got it done in February it's only a toy so I rarely use it working away and everything. I doubt they would touch it now it's been so long so I'm expecting to pay out again.

It may not need new parts but I'd like to get them just incase there is a problem.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A pro shop wouldn't hold you to a time limit with such low miles passed, if they clearly made a mistake. Reputation matters. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

1000 miles in is pretty early for a job that should go 100k miles.

Have them take a look, and stand behind their work.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM

I know what your all saying about it shouldn't have gone wrong but i'm half tempted to find another place and just pay . Since they screwed up once breaking knock sensor and all but I forgave then for that one. I just don't want to have to keep taking it in to them.