S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lights at bottom of gause cluster won't appear

Old 12-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights at bottom of gause cluster won't appear

Just trying to figure out why the lights at the bottom of my gauge cluster won't turn on. I recently got an inspection and was told that the lights are supposed to at least flash when the car turns on. Checked all the fuses and they are all fine. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you just purchase this car? The bulbs may have been removed or taped to cover up fault codes. Devious sellers have known to do this before. An easy way to check is with an OBD reader prior to any disassembly.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Did you just purchase this car? The bulbs may have been removed or taped to cover up fault codes. Devious sellers have known to do this before. An easy way to check is with an OBD reader prior to any disassembly.
I've actually had it for a while. Just never knew they were supposed to flash.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

they all have an individual bulb, while some bulbs could burn out over time it would be odd to have every bulb burned out like that. It is possible, but not likely. They do light up during the start-up process, I have to think there is a fuse that regulates that area of the cluster, but I know you said that all of the fuses looked fine.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC 94
I've actually had it for a while. Just never knew they were supposed to flash.
Did you ever end up finding what the issue was?
Old 09-13-2023, 07:31 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Start with the bulbs. Requires dash removal. Seems intimidating first time. But once you've done it once, can do fast and easy.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Start with the bulbs. Requires dash removal. Seems intimidating first time. But once you've done it once, can do fast and easy.
Is there a chance that 10 of them would blow out? I only have the DRL & immobilizer light working. I tried even swapping these working bulbs to other sockets and had no luck, and the ones that weren’t lit to the DRL socket and it lit up. So I don’t think it’s the bulbs but I will try again with all brand new bulbs. Also does the orientation of bulbs matter for polarity? All 12 sockets and bulb sizes should be the same right? I double checked all the fuses and didn’t find anything blown. Had continuity through each fuse. I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what’s going on 2006 AP2
Old 09-13-2023, 07:43 AM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian Duran
Is there a chance that 10 of them would blow out? I only have the DRL & immobilizer light working. I tried even swapping these working bulbs to other sockets and had no luck, and the ones that weren’t lit to the DRL socket and it lit up. So I don’t think it’s the bulbs but I will try again with all brand new bulbs. Also does the orientation of bulbs matter for polarity? All 12 sockets and bulb sizes should be the same right? I double checked all the fuses and didn’t find anything blown. Had continuity through each fuse. I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what’s going on 2006 AP2
On traditional incandescent bulbs, polarity doesn't matter, but if you replaced them with LED, then yes it does.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
On traditional incandescent bulbs, polarity doesn't matter, but if you replaced them with LED, then yes it does.
i replaced with an OEM bulb from Honda, weird thing about when I ordered it it came with a longer socket even though the bulb size looked identical. I reused the existing socket and inserted the replacement bulb I received. The other lights at the bottom were working fine until after replacing this bulb. Previous owner also had messed with the cluster and added a blueish bulb backlight when headlights are switched on, however I don’t think this is related as all the top of cluster is working fine. Also wouldn’t all these sockets be receiving power since immobilizer light and DRL light are still working fine? And it looks like all sockets grab power from the two ribbon cables leading to the back of cluster

Old 10-04-2023, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Damian Duran
i replaced with an OEM bulb from Honda, weird thing about when I ordered it it came with a longer socket even though the bulb size looked identical. I reused the existing socket and inserted the replacement bulb I received. The other lights at the bottom were working fine until after replacing this bulb. Previous owner also had messed with the cluster and added a blueish bulb backlight when headlights are switched on, however I don’t think this is related as all the top of cluster is working fine. Also wouldn’t all these sockets be receiving power since immobilizer light and DRL light are still working fine? And it looks like all sockets grab power from the two ribbon cables leading to the back of cluster
did you ever figure this out? My cluster is doing the exact same thing

Quick Reply: Lights at bottom of gause cluster won't appear