S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lightened flywheel too light?

Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No probs here with the Comptech lightened FW and ACT clutch. I originally had the Toda and Mugen setup and had slipping issues in a relatively stock N/A '03.

I lost more revs with the Toda than I do with the Comptech because the Toda was about 0.5-0.7lbs lighter. The Comptech is stronger than the stock FW and is a good comprimise of durability and light weight. Additionally, the Comptech can be resurfaced while the Toda cannot.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slipstream444
Additionally, the Comptech can be resurfaced while the Toda cannot.
huge benefit, IMO
Old 06-14-2004, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by frans2k
My tuner was telling me that my Comptech flywheel was too light. He says that FI cars don't need to be lightened and that I am losing too many revs between shifts. He also said that because of it being too light that it won't last very long possibly a month or so . He said I should take my stock flywheel and have a company lighten it a little, maybe 5lbs. He said I woud be a lot better off.
Your tuner is on drugs. If he thinks machining 5lbs of material off the stock flywheel is better option than buying a 9lb Comptech flywheel, perhaps he should check the weight of the stock unit. Supercharged cars have more rotating mass/resistance so a lightweight flywheel would naturally be of benefit. A lighter flywheel should not impact the life of the car, but it will be more difficult to drive. I'm not sure the performance benefit is worth the cost though, especially if this is a street driven car.

I can understand his statement from the point of view of the "average joe" beating the snot out their clutches/transmissions though...

[QUOTE]Also to mention you can smell clutch pretty good when I am backing it up.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 AM

I am losing too many revs between shifts.
How fast can you shift gears?

Remember, this is a sports car. If you don't drive it the way it is supposed to be driven, then sure, you will lose revs in between gears with a lighter flywheel.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:25 AM

Xviper, you are totally right. His garage has a slope and I had to back out of it, so it did smell bad. I will just leave things as they are.
I still hate taking off, it's almost stall or take off fast.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still hate taking off, it's almost stall or take off fast.
Try adjusting the clutch pedal.. it sounds like the travel and engaement is off and making it more difficult to drive.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running a Comptech flywheel with the ACT pressure plate and factory disc. I much prefer this setup to the factory flywheel.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Is the clutch real grabby? I am still not used to it, still stalling from time to time, drive thru's are a bitch!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:16 PM

^ u shouldn't be eating in your car anyways

j/k
Old 06-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Act PP, OEM Disc, Comptech Flywheel

I have had this setup for 6k miles and about 3 months. I have driven long distance, in DC traffic, and have pushed the hell out of it. The car is also my daily driver. I would highly recommend this setup and if I needed to replace the clutch again, would do it all over again.

Rev loss - I can go to 9k.... shift easily...and remain in vtec. I don't have a voodoo knob yet but was planning on getting one soon as this will make shifting even easier. Rev loss and shifting should not hold any weight in your decision here.

I think you'll be asking for trouble if you lighten the OEM flywheel.........just my $.02

Quick Reply: Lightened flywheel too light?