S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

lifting the S2000

Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lifting the S2000

I've read a number of threads discussing the right and wrong points to jack up the car.

I understand that there are two main jacking points.

FRONT - On that reinforced cross-member thing just in front of the engine
REAR - on the rear-differential carrier

So that's fine and I am able to get my hydraulic jack low enough to jack the front end. But I'm concerned about using my jack stands on the support points just behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. The receiver brackets on my jack stands (the parts that contact the car) seem to be shaped awkwardly and don't match the shape of the supprt points. So I'm not sure where to place them. I'm sure that protruding lip thing will buckle easily won't it? Additionally, they're too tall and with my hydraulic jack as tall as it will lift I can't get them in place.

So, is there any where else I can safely position my jack stands without fear of:
A)wrecking my car, ?
B)wrecking me, ?

At the front, is it ok to place the jack stands on the cross member either side of the front jacking point? The one in front of the engine?

What about the rear?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiny Norman,Sep 1 2008, 08:38 AM
I've read a number of threads discussing the right and wrong points to jack up the car.

I understand that there are two main jacking points.

FRONT - On that reinforced cross-member thing just in front of the engine
REAR - on the rear-differential carrier

So that's fine and I am able to get my hydraulic jack low enough to jack the front end. But I'm concerned about using my jack stands on the support points just behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. The receiver brackets on my jack stands (the parts that contact the car) seem to be shaped awkwardly and don't match the shape of the supprt points. So I'm not sure where to place them. I'm sure that protruding lip thing will buckle easily won't it? Additionally, they're too tall and with my hydraulic jack as tall as it will lift I can't get them in place.

So, is there any where else I can safely position my jack stands without fear of:
A)wrecking my car, ?
B)wrecking me, ?

At the front, is it ok to place the jack stands on the cross member either side of the front jacking point? The one in front of the engine?

What about the rear?

Thanks for any advice.
Do your jackstand mount ends look like this?

If so, dump them and get a set that look like this:

The first ones won't work with the S, the second set will. They don't lift the car as high and thus have a lower minimum height to lift. The end shape of the mounts are just fine for the S2K, I use them. They're ~ $18 bucks at Sears -- hell I think they might even have a sale on them today because it's Labor day.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Mine look more like the lower ones, thanks. But doesn't the 'lip' get crushed?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 AM

lip shouldnt get crush...i have used them on a BMW with the worst jack points ever with no issues
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The jack points on the side won't get crushed. Just make sure you use the correct jack point on the front just behind the rear wheel. The front most 'jack point' is fake, so use the one right behind it.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 PM

thanks guys
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 AM

For a little extra insurance, once you have the car positioned on the jackstands grab a wheel and shake the heck out of it. It's much better to fall off the stands with you beside the car then underneath it while pulling hard on a wrench.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM

yea, always do the hump test. i hump the car and then pull on the door, up and down. I've seen a car shift back on uneven mounted jacks, colapsing on the jacks.. it cracked a cement floor and would have easily killed anyone under it.

i kicked the front bumper to prove a point.. point was made. hehe