S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lets talk jacks/lifts.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I think a lift is essential for DIY maintenance on a car even my "just fluids" type preventive maintenance. Despite appearances I don't get a commission from EZcarlift. There's little difference between safe and safer. And our perceptions. I ain't going under a car on jack stands if I don't have to for example. Glad you're not going under either.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
A.O. (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I think a lift is essential for DIY maintenance on a car even my "just fluids" type preventive maintenance. Despite appearances I don't get a commission from EZcarlift. There's little difference between safe and safer. And our perceptions. I ain't going under a car on jack stands if I don't have to for example. Glad you're not going under either.

-- Chuck
Yes, not a fan of going under a vehicle on jack stands. Maybe not warranted, but still...
Old 11-25-2022, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
Yes, not a fan of going under a vehicle on jack stands. Maybe not warranted, but still...
As long as the jackstands are setup correctly and there's no wobble to it when you shove it, I'm fine with jackstands. I just got tired of the extra effort involved in putting a car up on 4 of them versus just sliding in the lifts and pressing a button.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fokker:
A.O. (11-25-2022), Mr.Matchbox (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:18 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
Oh, and for you guys with the Quickjacks, do you feel safe working under the car with just those??
Yes. It locks mechnically. You release all the Hydraulic pressure once the car is lifted. If you still feel concerend, just place 4 jack stands under the cornes of the Quick jack as fail-safe meassure.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
As long as the jackstands are setup correctly and there's no wobble to it when you shove it, I'm fine with jackstands. I just got tired of the extra effort involved in putting a car up on 4 of them versus just sliding in the lifts and pressing a button.
Exactly. I have the aditional problem that my Europen-German Garage is very small compared to the giant ballroom sized garages you guys in the US have. Working with Jackstands and a floor jack was allways cumbersome and annoying.
Sliding the Quick jack under the car from both sides and pressing a button makes the job so much easier, safer and faster.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Exactly. I have the aditional problem that my Europen-German Garage is very small compared to the giant ballroom sized garages you guys in the US have. Working with Jackstands and a floor jack was allways cumbersome and annoying.
Sliding the Quick jack under the car from both sides and pressing a button makes the job so much easier, safer and faster.
Like this??

Old 11-26-2022, 03:58 AM

Yes.......

I have a dog house with tools in it. But belive me, there are many friends and co workers here wich are envy that i have a dedicated garage for working at my car and motorcycle. I share it with a motorcycle buddy. And belive me, this thing is luxury, because it´s bigger as usuall. I can open both doors of the car and i have a workbench. Space is premium here. And many Landlords dont like the idea that people work on their vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
cosmomiller (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 04:43 AM

Yes.......

I have a dog house with tools in it. But belive me, there are many friends and co workers here wich are envy that i have a dedicated garage for working at my car and motorcycle. I share it with a motorcycle buddy. And belive me, this thing is luxury, because it´s bigger as usuall. I can open both doors of the car and i have a workbench. Space is premium here. And many Landlords dont like the idea that people work on their vehicles.

Yep, that's a bit tight, but its nice to have something! And why does the landlord not like you working on cars?
And my garage shares duties with my wood shop..
Old 11-26-2022, 05:00 AM

You are correct, at least i have something!
It´s becaus of oil spills and noise and so on... Spill a cup of oil in germany and some neighbors maybe will call the Police. This could end up costly. Same with loud working. Let the engine running, grinding, air compressor and so on. Some neighbors maybe freak out. Washing you car on Sunday is forbidden here. No kidding. All carwashes are closed. You are only allowed to wash your car in a carwash by the way. The reason is that otherwise you maybe contaminate the enviroment. And so on...
Different culture here!
Old 11-26-2022, 05:42 AM

You are correct, at least i have something!
It´s becaus of oil spills and noise and so on... Spill a cup of oil in germany and some neighbors maybe will call the Police. This could end up costly. Same with loud working. Let the engine running, grinding, air compressor and so on. Some neighbors maybe freak out. Washing you car on Sunday is forbidden here. No kidding. All carwashes are closed. You are only allowed to wash your car in a carwash by the way. The reason is that otherwise you maybe contaminate the enviroment. And so on...
Different culture here!
WOWZA!! Big time different set up. So I live way out in the country so some things I do are different from those here that live in the cities, heck my nearest neighbor is more than a quarter mile away from me. Interesting that someone might call the police for spilling some oil, what law might that be breaking? We can wash a car whenever or where ever we want, and carwashes here are never closed, the manual ones are 24/7/365 mostly. And I make lots of noise where I am at, compressors like you mentioned, chainsaws, cars, motorcycles, and shooting, I have 3 shooting ranges on my place even! Very interesting talking with someone from over in Germany and hearing these things!
Nice talking with you!

Quick Reply: Lets talk jacks/lifts.