S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Left side of steering wheel without lights?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left side of steering wheel without lights?

My new car has no lights on the left side of the steering wheel. Everything works so it must be a fuse. But when I look at the owner's manual I cannot tell which fuse it might be.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000mycar
My new car has no lights on the left side of the steering wheel. Everything works so it must be a fuse. But when I look at the owner's manual I cannot tell which fuse it might be.
I doubt it would be a fuse or nothing would work on that side. You likely have all bulbs burned out, or a previous owner removed the bulbs. When I got my car I had about 8 bulbs burned out on all areas of the dash.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by S2000mycar' timestamp='1421979418' post='23478351
I doubt it would be a fuse or nothing would work on that side. You likely have all bulbs burned out, or a previous owner removed the bulbs. When I got my car I had about 8 bulbs burned out on all areas of the dash.
The previous owner did not take out the bulbs but it seems that only the left side of the steering wheel is out and every thing works including the start button. I appreciate your response but it seems that all bulbs are there but a fuse is keeping them from lighting. I may be wrong but I do not know of any way to look at replacing the bulbs except to disconnect the battery, drop the steering wheel down and remove the dashboard. I want to be sure the fuse is not just burned out but I do not know which fuse controls the lights. Maybe the start function also includes the bulb which is burned out I do not know.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

May be a fuse issue but likely not. There are two distinct circuit going to the module. One powers engine start and the other relates to the audio controls. Turn the lights on and report back if all are off, audio (i.e. Mute), or just the start button. If you climb under the dash with a flashlight you can easily see these two connectors. The Start is the big white one (5 wire) while the smaller green one (6wire) is the audio. The starter switch has a lamp (1/4 turn bulb into side of start button) and another for the audio controls (1/4 turn bulb into module base). As J said the odds of loosing both bulbs are very low. If you do have a bulb out you can go here to get info and photos of the task:

Google "Qube Engineering"
Products
Qube LED Dash Controls
3rd or 4th tab at top is Support
Documentation
Audio Control

This is by far the best set of detailed instructions on dash electrical work procedures on the internet. Kudos to Art Trimbol (aka DJQube) at Qube engineering for his pioneering efforts on our wonderful cars!!

Utah

P.S. The circuit is powered indirectly through main gauge cluster. It is a 7.5 amp fuse in the under dash fuse/ relay box. This box is right by the hood release latch. The left has relays and the right has two rows of fuses. Fuse 5 is on the left ( inner) row and is 5th from the bottom. Also check fuse 25 which is the 3rd from the top on the right (outer) column.....also 7.5 Amp.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
May be a fuse issue but likely not. There are two distinct circuit going to the module. One powers engine start and the other relates to the audio controls. Turn the lights on and report back if all are off, audio (i.e. Mute), or just the start button. If you climb under the dash with a flashlight you can easily see these two connectors. The Start is the big white one (5 wire) while the smaller green one (6wire) is the audio. The starter switch has a lamp (1/4 turn bulb into side of start button) and another for the audio controls (1/4 turn bulb into module base). As J said the odds of loosing both bulbs are very low. If you do have a bulb out you can go here to get info and photos of the task:

Google "Qube Engineering"
Products
Qube LED Dash Controls
3rd or 4th tab at top is Support
Documentation
Audio Control

This is by far the best set of detailed instructions on dash electrical work procedures on the internet. Kudos to Art Trimbol (aka DJQube) at Qube engineering for his pioneering efforts on our wonderful cars!!

Utah

P.S. The circuit is powered indirectly through main gauge cluster. It is a 7.5 amp fuse in the under dash fuse/ relay box. This box is right by the hood release latch. The left has relays and the right has two rows of fuses. Fuse 5 is on the left ( inner) row and is 5th from the bottom. Also check fuse 25 which is the 3rd from the top on the right (outer) column.....also 7.5 Amp.
Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like you know or have done work on this before. I will try doing what you said.