S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Left Rear Koni at rest - is this normal?

Old 09-19-2020, 04:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Update - Left Rear Koni at rest - is this normal?

Update 9/21/20 - So I loosened all the rear suspension bolts and the lower shock wouldn't line up, then I loosened the rear subframe and the it still won't line up. I have to force the shock towards the front of the car to make it go between the lower arm. It can't be this hard to do and I'm sure the factory didn't have to do that but I can't figure out why it won't line up. I'd call the shop that did it but they went out of business in 2015. Here are a couple of pics.

Trying to put the new LR Koni is and I got the top nuts on but I'm fighting to get the bottom bolt in. I need 6 hands - 2 to push the shock in, 2 to pull on the crow bar and 2 to get the bolt in. This is the shock at rest with the top nuts on. Is it normally this far from the bolt hole when at rest before you put it in?

Last edited by WarrenW; 09-21-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Edited for upate - 9/21/20
Old 09-19-2020, 04:58 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

It's just not Konis that do that, many other brands are hard to get on the rear lower control arms. I used a long (5-6 ft long) 2x4 wood stud under the chassis and over the control arm, I stood on the 2x4 and really leveraged it to get the bottom of the shock to slide over. An extra set of hands could help put the bolt in once you get the control arm pushed down far enough.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Wait, did you undo the swaybar end link?

Also, all the bushings need to be clocked, so hopefully you also loosened all the control arm bolts?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Wait, did you undo the swaybar end link?

Also, all the bushings need to be clocked, so hopefully you also loosened all the control arm bolts?
No, haven't undone the sway bar end link, didn't think of that actually. Thanks.

By clocked I assume you mean torqued. No, haven't loosened the control arm bolts, was planning to re-torque all the bolts in the rear after new shocks were installed.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:06 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
It's just not Konis that do that, many other brands are hard to get on the rear lower control arms. I used a long (5-6 ft long) 2x4 wood stud under the chassis and over the control arm, I stood on the 2x4 and really leveraged it to get the bottom of the shock to slide over. An extra set of hands could help put the bolt in once you get the control arm pushed down far enough.
Yeah this is what I did minus the 2x4. I had to stand on the hub to get the arm to drop far enough for my friend to get the bolt in.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 AM

Received 486 Likes on 397 Posts

Easy peasy, take your scissor jack, and use it to push up the damper so the bolt goes through the hole.
zeroptzero (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,396 Likes on 1,040 Posts

?? Pry? Crowbar?? wood??? Leverage??? Extra hands?!

Just loosen all the bushings now on both sides of the car.

Let the suspension droop. Don't fight.

You said you were going to loosen and retorque them anyway, right?

Why fight?

Install the shocks on both sides.

Then lift each LCA up with a floor jack and slide the bolt thru the shock mount.

Then clock the bushings.

Tighten.

Enjoy.

I think I already suggested this to you before. But...I think you think I'm a dummy.

Last edited by B serious; 09-20-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,396 Likes on 1,040 Posts

I am surprised that so many people choose to ride the struggle bus on this particular job.

These cars were mass assembled and are meant to be serviced easily.

In general, if you're struggling...stop. You're doing something incorrectly.

Think about it...

Do you think the intended procedure for replacing shocks really involves jumping on 2x4's, extra people, or scissor jacks wedged against the body?

Does that UCA look like it should have a pry bar put between its webs and leaned on to absorb the resultant force from a few hundred LB-FT of torsion? You're probably asking that poor web to handle almost a few thousand LB of force by prying on it.

Last edited by B serious; 09-20-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Kyle (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 04:11 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

No, clocking os not torquing. Clocking is repositioning the bushings to their new ride height.

Failure to do this step will result in uneven ride height, wonkey handling, and eventually torn bushings (which are seriously not fun to replace).

To clock bushings:

Ideally you do this on a drive on lift where car is level, resting on its tires with suspension at ride height, and you can reach all tbe suspension bolts. But if you don't have access to such a lift:

Car safely on jack stands under the body, and level.

All four wheels removed

All suspension bolts with a bushing loosened (Front: upper control arm both bolts, lower control arm front bolt, lower shock mount. Rear: upper control arm both bolts lower control arm both bolts, lower shock mount, toe arm)

Place jack under suspension at one corner, then jack until that corner of the car just barely lifts off its jack stand. Now all the weight of that corner is on its suspension. This simulates that corner at ride height.

NOW you can tighten, then torque down, each suspension bolt. Just be super careful, and don't get under tbe the car at all, as this corner is no longer on its stand.

If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself, bring it to a shop. If they look at you funny when you mention all the bushings need to be clocked because you changed ride height, you are in the wrong shop. Keep looking.
windhund116 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 06:19 PM

Yep, I was feeling like it shouldn't be that hard but I didn't think about loosening all the bolts before I put the new shock in. I had to fight with too many other things. Shit like that clouds the thinking process. I started loosening the bolts on the rear but ran into several that were stuck so shot them w/ penetrating oil and back at it next time.

Quick Reply: Left Rear Koni at rest - is this normal?