S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Learn From My Dumb Mistake

Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn From My Dumb Mistake

So I changed out my clutch myself before Christmas and now that it's properly worn in, I started getting on the car a bit more. I noticed that whever I pushed the car, throttle over 60% the clutch pedal would fall a bit towards the floor. I kept it in the back of my mind and figure out what was causing it but I couldn't pin it until earlier today. I pull out of a parking lot and once I'm straight floor the car, get to redline, try to shift and the clutch pedal falls to the floor. ****. Fortunately I was just around the corner from my place and was able to coast into my neighborhood in neutral. Rev matched the car to shift it into 2nd and limped home.

I lift the car up and see clutch fluid dripping from the slave cylinder, removed the shield thing covering the slave / fork and see that my clutch release fork fell all the way out. I'm guessing when I put it back in after the clutch install it wasn't all the way inserted in and was only being held in place by the pressure of the slave cylinder. Anywho after popping it in all the way and making sure it was in correctly and bolting everything back up, it seems the problem went away and the car drove normally. Just figured I'd share my dumb ass mistake
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

that happened to me when I was servicing my slave cylinder rod. I thought I had it in place but when I went to bleed it the clutch it wouldnt' work properly. There must be a position that feels like it's inserted properly but isn't quite right. Once I took it apart and got it in the proper spot it all worked fine. I never drove it like that though, it was just when I was doing some service work on it. Seems like it could be and easy mistake to make.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 AM

Just replaced my clutch and got the car back driving yesterday. There is only one way that you can put the release fork in, but you do have to make sure that it snaps into place. After I got everything back together, my starter doesn't work. Now I didn't take it out of the block, just un-bolted it from the bell housing in order to get the transmission out. I put the trans back in, bolted the starter back up, and now it just spins. It tries to engage the flywheel when you first try to start it, but then immediately stops and you can hear it just spin. It sounds like the solenoid went bad to me, but do you guys have any other suggestions? It worked fine before... And I didn't take it completely out and didn't take any of the wires loose.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 AM

Is that bastardly upper starter bolt tightened all the way? If you hear it spinning might not be popping out, which sucks cause damn that bolt was a pain in the ass.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 240toS2k,Jan 9 2011, 05:10 AM
Is that bastardly upper starter bolt tightened all the way? If you hear it spinning might not be popping out, which sucks cause damn that bolt was a pain in the ass.
just remove belt, alternator, belt tensioner, and intake support bracket. that top starter bolt is a breeze after that.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 240toS2k
So I changed out my clutch myself before Christmas and now that it's properly worn in, I started getting on the car a bit more. I noticed that whever I pushed the car, throttle over 60% the clutch pedal would fall a bit towards the floor. I kept it in the back of my mind and figure out what was causing it but I couldn't pin it until earlier today. I pull out of a parking lot and once I'm straight floor the car, get to redline, try to shift and the clutch pedal falls to the floor. ****. Fortunately I was just around the corner from my place and was able to coast into my neighborhood in neutral. Rev matched the car to shift it into 2nd and limped home.

I lift the car up and see clutch fluid dripping from the slave cylinder, removed the shield thing covering the slave / fork and see that my clutch release fork fell all the way out. I'm guessing when I put it back in after the clutch install it wasn't all the way inserted in and was only being held in place by the pressure of the slave cylinder. Anywho after popping it in all the way and making sure it was in correctly and bolting everything back up, it seems the problem went away and the car drove normally. Just figured I'd share my dumb ass mistake
Were you able to start your car? did you have to pull off the tranny again? any damage to anything under there.