S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leak under pass side floor?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak under pass side floor?

I noticed my car was smelling not so good..so i started to feel around..I found the carpet was damp where the passenger would normally put his or her feet...I took the mat off and let that dry, and have been drying the carpet itself with a heat gun..the previous owner had a slice in the carpet so I could feel under it...the underlay seems to be drenched..but no puddles on the metal....

I may have perhaps just spilt my water bottle..but I'm not sure..any ideas? It has just started the rainy season latley? maybe I grided the bottom on a speed bump too much? any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? or any sprays that will seal this?!?!

thank you,
Kyle
Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You most likely have a leak in the drain hose for your air conditioning system. It's either plugged or has become disconnected.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM

In a hard rain, the door seals may leak at the top, letting water into the car. Silicon grease on the top rubber parts may help.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:36 PM

there's a hole on the firewall with a rubber plug on it with wires going through...when i installed my amp wire and ran it through there, i didnt tighten up the plug and a lot of water got in (about 6 months after i installed my amp and after hard rain)...might want to check that out...if not, its probobly your a/c
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

hopefully its not a busted heater core.

Get some white paper towel. mop up some of the liquid. is it green?

have a look under the heater unit on the passenger side. can you see any evidence of leaks?

The thing that makes me think its coolant is the smell. My last car, nissan skyline r33 had an odd smell in the car, and there was odd condensation forming on the windscreen. On a hot day i got home and thought i'd clean out my car. i pulled out the passenger side mat only to discover it was sopping wet. Checked the radiator, must of lost about 2 ltrs of coolant into the passenger foot well. one of my mates had complained that their $300 jeans were ruined after sitting down in the front seat, and afterwards having a huge green stain on the back of the bottom of their jeans where they had touched the wet floor and soaked up fkn coolant.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 17 2005, 02:21 AM
You most likely have a leak in the drain hose for your air conditioning system. It's either plugged or has become disconnected.

this will be the one..

the drain is not very robust, and can just be pulled a little bit by the passengers feet..enough to put a kink in it.. because the water comes quite slowly you never really notice until the whole carpet is soaked..
Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 PM

okay cool..how do I check this? how do I fix it? can I do this myself?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM

The funky smell is the normal smell of water when it hasn't dried properly..its nothing toxic and my rad fluids are all good I just had my oil changed and everything under the hood is good...

thank you anyways though
Old 11-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

But if left soggy, it will mildew. You don't want mildewed carpet.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:52 PM

of course I don't! It's all dry now..i took a heat gun to it..it hasn't rained recently which means my a/c hasn't been going on (i normally put it on with the defrost) so therefore it is dry...

if I peel back the carpet and what not? what am I looking for? is it a pretty easy fix? I'm sorry I'm a full time student, and I work full/time so time is really slim to me...just don't want to go out there expecting to fix it in 5 mins and it takes 5 hours....type idea..

Quick Reply: Leak under pass side floor?