S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leak! need some advice from you experts.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak! need some advice from you experts.

I moved the car out the garage today and some a damp patch on the floor. Now its not oil but wet with a slight stickiness.
The position of the leak in just behind the front driver's side wheel. I checked inside the back of the wheel and its all bone dry and no sign of brake fluid. Engine coolant in between min and max. Nothing in the middle of the car so not tranny or engine oil. Inside the engine compartment its all dry on the that side.

Ideas and advice on repair would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the shock and motor mount.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
Check the shock and motor mount.
whats the motor mount? I don't think its the shock as it didn't seem to be right under the suspension.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Did it have a specific colour ?, motor mount fluid is reported to be an orange colour, not many fluids on this car are sticky -like, thus the possibility of it being the motor mount fluid. Brake fluid is like a solvent feel, coolant is slippery, but neither are sticky.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Did it have a specific colour ?, motor mount fluid is reported to be an orange colour, not many fluids on this car are sticky -like, thus the possibility of it being the motor mount fluid. Brake fluid is like a solvent feel, coolant is slippery, but neither are sticky.
Its a bit like you say with the coolant, its not sticky like sticky tape but had a bit of thickness to it compared to neat water. On the concrete floor I could not tell any colouration. it eventually dried leaving a slight stain which suggests its not oil (also not slippery) but water based?

Would motor mount oil drip from the sill of the car?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM

I would lift the car and get underneath with a flash light. Look at the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump for dried coolant. If there is you have a bad water pump. Mine went bad at 21,000 miles! Here's a link that might help..
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/719...ctures-inside/
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 08BBS2K
I would lift the car and get underneath with a flash light. Look at the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump for dried coolant. If there is you have a bad water pump. Mine went bad at 21,000 miles! Here's a link that might help..
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/719...ctures-inside/
the water pump being on the front of the engine where the belt it and roughly central with the car is not close to the where the leak drips. it drips from the very side of the car, the front point of the left sill, directly behind the wheel.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM

No an engine mount would leak off the front subframe, almost directly down from where the intake hose clamps onto the throttle body.

I don't know of anything that runs out the sill behind the wheel well, but there are drain holes in that general araa. Was the car ever rustproofed ?, I know my rustproofing continually leaks even after two or more years, it shows up worse on very warm days as the fluid thins out.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM

this is a photo of where leak is
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by trustafox
this is a photo of where leak is
That's a drain hole from the lower sill, looks like rusty water is coming out of it. Were you driving in the rain just before you noticed the fluid coming out of that spot ?. Maybe consider rust-proofing that area of the vehicle if you are going to keep it for the long term.

Quick Reply: Leak! need some advice from you experts.