S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

LE607= Noisy Differential?

Old 03-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LE607= Noisy Differential?

I don't if it just me?? But i swear, after i changed from Mobil1 75w90 GL5 differential oil to Le 607 differential oil. My differential seems to be a little noisy after the switched. Now it sounds like, when i used to have my OEM differential fluid. There's not wrong with my differential. It's making the nomal gear sound. I would assume the thicker 90w oil would dampen the nosie better. But i guess not or maybe i'm hearing things. It's no big deal.... it just seems like mobil 1 dampen the nosie better.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's been quite cool of late where you are, the fluid may need additional time to warm up. I've always been hesitant to use this fluid if the climate is cool. A thick oil doesn't necessarily cover gears better and when this fluid is cold, it is thick. It may tend to "climb" over gears instead of infiltrating them. If you are concerned, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the plug and check for metal on the magnet. Go for a good drive first to heat up the fluid or it won't fall out too well. Replace it with Mobil 1 gear oil for now. You can always put the LE back in later once your satisfied that nothing has gone wrong.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:00 PM

It's was about 70's to 80's, when i changed the fluid. Before the changed, i went for a good drive. To heat up the old fluid, so most of it will fall out. I didn't flush the inside of the differential. I replaced it with Le607 and went for a good drive. I took it easy for the first 45 minutes to heat up the fluid. Than i Vtec two to three times and drove around leisurely for the next 30 minutes. Than i noticed that when coasting from 30mph to stop. The differential seems a little noisier than before. I'm starting to have doubts about the LE607 fluid??? Under LE websit, the LE607 is listed as a Industrial grade gear oil. Maybe it's just too thick? I'm thinking the exact same thing Xviper, "that a thick
oil doesn't necessarily cover gears better". I was very reluctant to change to the LE607, only because it gets pretty hot in the summer in Walnut Creek. I thought thicker oil would be better for the warmer climate. Now with this noise, i might just go back to Mobil 1.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 PM

If you have the facility to do it, I think a great deal can be learned if you could collect some of the old LE and send it in for an analysis. State the time and mileage that it has been used.
I'm not saying that there is any correlation, but when I experimented with Redline Heavy Shockproof, the analysis came back with alarming results. It too, was a very thick fluid and although it was supposed to protect the diff under some heavy use, it was not suitable for daily use and it did not last long. Just as Heavy Shockproof offers no GL5 rating, LE doesn't either. I wonder if this has anything to do with its suitability for our diffs.
Have you seen those little "demo" gears in auto supply stores? It's a series of gears one on top of another in a see through case. The bottom gear has a little crank. The thicker oil was able to move higher up the gears than the thinner oil, but if you look closely, the thicker oil did not penetrate the spaces between the teeth. It road on top of the teeth.
I'm by no means an expert in this field, but I've always had my reservations. Now that a few owners have had LE in their diffs for a while, perhaps we will begin to hear more "impressions"?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 PM

I'm going to start looking for the facility around my area to analysis the old LE oil. I'm going to bite the bullet and wait after 3k for an analysis. About Redline products, after spending a lot of time at www.bobistheoilguy.com. The Redline products tends to give off high metal counts. I think it has to do with the additive they use. Because some of test was virgin Redline engine oil and differential oil.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 PM

Where is Road Rage??? I don't understand why Road rage would recommend this gear oil? when it doesn't even have GL5 rating? I thought the whole issue about using 90w gear oil was so our warranty would be valid. And here Road Rage recommend this LE607 gear oil??? Honda state to use 90w GL5 or GL6 gear oil.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topcat7111,Mar 18 2005, 11:38 PM
Where is Road Rage??? I don't understand why Road rage would recommend this gear oil? when it doesn't even have GL5 rating? I thought the whole issue about using 90w gear oil was so our warranty would be valid. And here Road Rage recommend this LE607 gear oil??? Honda state to use 90w GL5 or GL6 gear oil.
I think this was covered in the oil journal forum, in the UTH section?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by topcat7111,Mar 19 2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, this was mentioned about the lack of GL5 rating. I think RR based his recommendation on the additives package and the formulation of this fluid.
He also started a thread (a kind of poll) to see if any failures have occured using this fluid. You can see it here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=22&t=247801
As you can see, only one person so far, has reported a failure. You should add you experiences to that thread even though you do not have a confirmed "failure".
Old 03-19-2005, 08:32 AM

My differential is fine, it's just a little nosier using LE607. I remember when my oem fluid was still back in there, it made the same noise. When i changed to Mobil 1 75w90 GL5, my differential seems to be quieter. Mobil 1 75w90 seems to dampen the nosie better than straight 90W gear oil. I'm not saying LE607 is bad for our differential. After reading the Truth about 90W differential oil, i find it strange that some of you would say it made your differential quieter??? Maybe some of you haven't try Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil to make that comparison.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by topcat7111,Mar 19 2005, 10:32 AM
I remember when my oem fluid was still back in there, it made the same noise. When i changed to Mobil 1 75w90 GL5, my differential seems to be quieter. Mobil 1 75w90 seems to dampen the nosie better than straight 90W gear oil.
No need to worry then. Just make sure the noise doesn't get any worse.

Quick Reply: LE607= Noisy Differential?