S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

LE 1605 vs. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LE 1605 vs. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110

Was just on Hardtopguy's website, and noticed he doesn't sell LE1605 anymore. He now has Amsoil 75w110 Severe Gear fluid.

I've been using LE 607 and 1605 for years, I'm a tad skeptical to switch. Have any of you used this Severe Gear stuff from Amsoil? I know they're a great company, but I just want to make sure people are actually using this stuff.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using it, 75w110.

Good stuff, try it
Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 AM

ricks2k still sells it
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen or heard of a review/analysis of this product. Maybe you could do that for us?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a charter member of BITOG, a lubricants forum:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Both Amsoil severe gear and Lubrications Engineers have terrific reputations and I don't think you could go wrong with either (in the proper grade, of course).

The Royal Purple brand has its fans ... but I'm not one of them. In short, I think this stuff is decent … but gimmicky (the “kewl” purple color) and over-priced.

Mobil 1 is probably the most common synthetic brand … but I’m not too impressed by its add pack (in general – it evolves over time) and so I choose others.

Nothing wrong with conventional gear lubes … especially if you are going to change it often (every 25,000 miles or less). I’d go with Chevron Delo gear oils because their boron-based additive package is one of the best available for low wear, even under the toughest conditions. Much better than the “old-school” gears oils reeking of sulfur. I’ll take a conventional gear oil with a boron add-pack over a sulfur-smelling synthetic any day.

Remember there are basically two parts to every modern lubricant: The quality of the base oil (and both conventional oils as well as synthetics have different groups within them) and the quality of the additive package.

The “add pack” contains corrosion inhibitors, wear reducers, detergents that clean, dispersants that keep contaminants suspended in the oil (as opposed to forming sludge on the bottom and sides of the case) and in some lubes, extreme pressure (RP) additives that prevent wear in high stress conditions where a liquid barrier cannot be continually maintained.

The base oil quality mainly comes into it the equation in the extremes of temperature. Synthetics flow better in extreme cold and survive better in high heat … or heat over an extended amount of time. For short durations in moderate temps, the user will usually see no benefit to a “synthetic” oil.

One of my favorite brands is Schaeffer oil:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/products.html

Great stuff … but they are a small, commercial blender that typically sells to large commercial accounts so local availability is a problem and ordering on-line requires a large order most car owners can’t justify by themselves.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the insight Bror Jace. The Chevron Delo sounds interesting. Have you tested that product, or any others in the S2000 yet?

I have done several tests on LE 607 and 1605. I have seen one UOA of M1 75W-90 and one UOA of RL 75W-90 and Heavy Duty Shockproof. But never an AMSOIL (SVG or SVT) test.

Are you using the Schaeffers gear oil now? Do you have any tests of their gear oils?

Thanks for any data or comparative data from your testing that you can provide for the S2000 and welcome to S2KI.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Member slipstream444 hit me with this link. Very informative.http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Amsoil in my motor, tranny, and diff and have been pleased. I was a Royal Purple fan, but after doing research, reading reviews, tests, and feedback from normal people and racers alike, Amsoil is now the oil dealer I trust the best.

I actually talked to one of my friends yesterday (who is a local Amsoil dealer) and he was talking about how a fellow Evo owner runs the amsoil products, and has been doing a full amsoil oil change in the motor with amsoil filter before he goes out to the track, then changes it after a day of racing. After this he sends it off to Blackstone for analysis, and all of his tests have come back looking superb.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM

INDYMAC, your username is familiar ... are you a BITOGian too?

Unfortunately, I have just a few days experience with my S2K and have never done a UOA on any tranny or gear oil ... but I have seen dozens on BITOG and other sites.

I've done engine oil UOAs on a handful of cars and will do one on my '05 sooner or later. If I do one on whichever gear oil I choose for my diff, it'll be years before I will travel 10,000+ miles and drain the oil but when I do, I will perform a UOA and post it here (that's the plan).

I like a lot of oil brands (Schaeffer, Chevron, Pennzoil, Amsoil and others) and am the first one to admit there are no approved oils out there that are bad/trouble. I've gotten into mud slinging wars over brands of oil ... but had my fill of it years ago.

I'm using Pennzoil's high-mileage 10W-30 in my car right now to take advantage of it's slightly-higher weight and more robust add pack. Will switch to Pennzoil Platinum in a couple thousand miles and will run that for the foreseeable future.

I was able to put together a group Schaeffer order several years but ran out and have not been able to get the same friends to order again since. However, my UOAs using Schaffer engine oils were the cleanest I've ever had and have never had bad luck with any of their products. I don't know if I'll be using any Schaeffer products in the S2K ... but the only thing holding me back is availability.

I have Amsoil MTF in my '06 Civic right now. It works well year 'round (especially in the winter) but will probably use Honda MTF in the S2K. They key with that stuff is to change it often as it shears down quickly ... I'm thinking an interval of about 12,000-15,000 miles.

realblaq, that article has been extensively debated on BITOG (it's a few years old). I found it interesting ... but no publication by an oil company should be a primary source of information for consumers. Seek multiple tests/publications and opinions and then make the best decision you can.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM

Oh, and I should probably add that I do not sell oil nor work in the petro-chemical industry.

I used to own Chevron stock (symbol: CVX) but I sold it a couple years ago when gas hit $4 per gallon (I'm funny like that). I own stock in no other oil company.

Quick Reply: LE 1605 vs. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110