S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

LCA Adjustment bolts seized. Alignment=Screw'd

Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA Adjustment bolts seized. Alignment=Screw'd

More bad new strikes my s2k. Let me start from the beginning, because I've got a few questions. I bought my S about 7 months or so ago. It was primarily a NC car, but was up in Boston for about 2 years. When I bought it, I checked for body rust and everything checked out fine. A few months later, bought some Espilier springs for it and a set of RPF-1's. One day I began to put on the springs so I could put my wheels on. I started on the Passenger rear strut and moved my way around to the driver rear, then the driver front, then I got to the passenger front strut... The bolt holding the bottom of the strut (the fork) was stuck inside of the bushing sleeve of the lower control arm. I tried and tried to turn it. All that resulted was the bushing itself turning inside of the lower control arm and shredding it. I found out that Honda did not sell individual bushings. So I found a used Lower control arm that had all of the bushings in tact. Went to cut out the seized strut fork bolt and replace the passenger front lower control arm, and the camber adjuster bolt (the one that connects the lower control arm to the chassis horizontally) also decided to seize inside of it's bushing sleeve. I had to end up literally CUTTING off my lower control arm with a plasma cutter. It took me and a friend 8 hours on non-stop work to complete, with a lot of fighting the new control arm to fit. Finally got it in and proceeded to go get an alignment a few weeks later. Took it to the shop and waited and hour while they wrenched away on it. The mechanic came out and told me that I need to replace both inner and outer tie rods because the lock nuts were rusted in place. Meanwhile while I'm acquiring my tie rods, I simultaneously had 3 of my 4 brake calipers begin to stick and had to replace all of those. Fast forward to last night, I but in my inner and outer tie rods with ease and was feeling good about it. This morning I took the S for another shot at an alignment. They worked on it for a good while and everything is just as messed up. The control arm that I replaced (passenger front) was completely moveable, but the caster maxed out at only 1.4 degrees. The specified range for it is 5.8 degrees to 6.3 degrees. What could be wrong with that? Is that normal on a s2000's only lowered about an inch and a half? Another problem they encountered was that the ENTIRE driver side lower control arm is seized just like the one I replaced was... Should I just try to source another LCA like I did with the other? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions? Please help me. I don't know what to do with this damn car anymore. Is it possible that the lower control arm that I've already replace is bent and that is why the caster won't adjust properly? Alignment specs given below:

Front Left: (siezed and unadjustable). CAMBER= -0.9 Specified range= -0.7 thru -0.3/ CASTER= 7.4 Specified range= 5.8 thru 6.3/ TOE= -0.01 Specified range= -0.08 thru -0.08/// Front right: (replaced with used LCA. adjustable). CAMBER= -0.8 Specified range= -0.7 thru -0.3/ CASTER= 1.4 Specified range= 5.8 thru 6.3/ TOE= -0.01 Specified range= -0.08 thru -0.08/// Rear Left: CAMBER= -2.7 Specified range= -1.7 thru -1.3/ TOE= 0.0 Specified Range= 0.16 thru 0.32/// Rear right: CAMBER= -2.4 Specified range= -1.7 thru -1.3/ TOE= 0.0 Specified Range= 0.16 thru 0.32
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was right there with ya buddy. I am a tech and do alignments daily. When i first got my S the cast adjustments wouldnt turn either. My advice: a very strong breaker bar atleast 3 ft long and an impact socket. 6 point of course

Lemme know