S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Larger Oil Filter Update

Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I am not standing by this theory because I don't track and have a need to keep oil temps in check like they do, but larger oil filters had been discussed as helpful gaining an extra couple degree lower temps.

The theory was the larger capacity of the filter kept the oil outside the body of the engine longer allowing the temp to drop a bit more from the air passing over the filter. Maybe it helps but can't hurt either.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

The more oil you have the lower the temp will be. Lets say you are 1 qt. low, as long as you don't suck the pan dry those 4 qt's of oil will lube the engine but it will be hotter than if you had 5 qt's of oil, because that 4 qt's have to do the work that 5 qt's of oil should be doing. With this larger oil filter you put even more oil(up to and even a little more than 6 qt's of oil) so the oil doesn't go through the engine as many times in 1 min., 1 hour, one day of driving. So it has more time to cool off before it gets picked up again by the oil pump pick up.

ROD
Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
You can also make one out of a large hose clamp on the filter(any filter). Don't know if that's legal at all tracks but it will keep a filter from loosening up.

ROD
thats what i have seen in the other threads. its a cheap insurance so why not do it right?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Can someone make an oil filter heat sink?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The F2x allready has an oil-to-water heat exchanger.
Unless serious data is published that an extra quart of oil substantially lowers overall F2x oil temp - all other things being equal - I'm not really buying that.
More oil is good though, you can use it longer as the total amount of acid fighting additives in the engine is higher.

Too bad we do not know the OEM filter specs when it comes to filtration itself.
So we can not really compare them with eachother.
More filter area is not bad but if the filtration itself is the same it will just last longer.

I'm happy with my 15400, btw.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
The F2x allready has an oil-to-water heat exchanger.
Unless serious data is published that an extra quart of oil substantially lowers overall F2x oil temp - all other things being equal - I'm not really buying that.
More oil is good though, you can use it longer as the total amount of acid fighting additives in the engine is higher.

Too bad we do not know the OEM filter specs when it comes to filtration itself.
So we can not really compare them with eachother.
More filter area is not bad but if the filtration itself is the same it will just last longer.

I'm happy with my 15400, btw.

I'm with you here. There are a few other variables that could make it actually go either way. I do like the idea and all, and I really DOUBT it could harm anything, but it can't be conclusive without knowing a few variables (at a minimum):

1. Residence time - the oil going into the filter and leaving the filter would most likely be determined by the filtration packing method, porosity, channeling restrictions, etc. With this being said, without knowing exactly the difference between filters (OEM vs. this larger one) then it's really hard to determine which way it would go...
2. Passive cooling in the filtration element itself (being "off the block") - This is also dependant on residence time, but basically the surface area and heat transfer coefficients of the oil contacting the exterier areas of the filter in order to "cool" the oil, as mentioned above.
3. Ambient temperature outside of filter housing - seeing as our filter is on the side of the block with the heat shield, I would imagine the ambient temperature is quite high, even while driving. So this passive cooling would not be as much as you might think.

The only thing really making me scratch my head is apparently some people are seeing reduced temperatures? This is shocking to me, but I guess it is what it is. I've been wrong before. It is just very hard for me to believe that with this change in conditions that you would see anything even near 1°F change between the two.