S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Larger Merge Collector

Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting design. I'd like to see the the dyno hp/tq curves moreso than the numbers.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Aug 30 2006, 02:26 PM
A big merge collector reduces ground clearance. The tri-Y Toda hangs a bit further down than stock, and are commonly scraped on stock height cars.
Much worse is the decrease in exhaust gas velocity from improperly sized (see to big) of a merge collector, maintaining exhaust gas velocity will make or break a header design.

That Skunk piece and the Hytech look to be the only properly designed off the shelf options for the F20C. All of the theory they discuss is pretty much dead on for the most part (Tri Y, sequential pairng, etc.) Be aware that a proper header like this could likely effect your fuel curves significantly enough to require tuning to take full advantage of this piece, and there is nothing wrong with this in my eyes. The only thing I didnt see menitoned is anti-reversion chambers...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM

How much of a difference between the f20c and f22c is there?
How would this header work on an f20c?

I agree that anyone with a header/test pipe/exhaust should buy a vafc or emanage and definately hop on a dyno for a tune to make the best of those mods.

I don't think exhaust gas velocity will make a difference as long as the merge collector is smaller or the same size as the text pipe/exhaust.

the tri-y theory or whatever they call it is not really a theory. scavanging effect does exist. and if this header works like it's supposed to, it will definately do it's job and make plenty more power than others.

I don't think there should be much worry about scraping either... unless you like going off-road.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 PM

Scavenging absolutely exists, no question.

Exhaust gas velocity is absolutely the most important factor when desgining a proper header, period. This is why they use scavenging in the first place, the scavenging effect generates a vaccum in the cylinder which draws in more air (which, ofcourse demands more fuel to effectively burn) then a non scavenged setup. Naturally, the exhaust gases themselves are generaiting this vacuum do to the velocity at which they are moving. the merge collector is a major factor in this aswell, as I stated earlier if you go to big on the collector the exhaust gasses slow dramatically. The purpose of properly engineering a header is so that your engine does not have to work as hard to generate power, thus increasing your engines volumetric efficiency.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke530,Aug 31 2006, 09:48 PM
I don't think there should be much worry about scraping either... unless you like going off-road.
I can tell you a stock height S2k will scrape a Toda header collector over rises/speedbumps. I've done it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:08 AM

[QUOTE=MINES13,Aug 31 2006, 02:37 PM] Much worse is the decrease in exhaust gas velocity from improperly sized (see to big) of a merge collector, maintaining exhaust gas velocity will make or break a header design.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:45 AM

several things i'd like to comment on. when engineering a header it's supposedly all about maximizing efficiency, but the question is at what rpm? at what volumetric efficiency. nothing is static in an engineer, as you progress through the rev range you hit different amounts of mass flow, different temps, different points for which something can be optimized.
Right, but you can not quantify what is happening in the exhaust manifold at those hypersonic speeds, a point at which Bernoulli's principle begins to work inversely. There are no look up tables to even begin to calculate this stuff, there is no formula, and it is not simply a matter of flow. It is simply a matter of trial and error.

with a car like the s2k you're not going to ever get low end torque... so it's most likely that headers are designed to flow the maximum top end numbers.
A header CAN be optimized for a set point in the power band, this is true. However, it can also be optimized for its true intended purpose. To compliment and enhance the maximum effiency of the engine, not simply where it makes its peak energy and force.

exhaust gas velocity is important for torque. But remember that exhaust gas velocities at the low end with low mass flow may be slow but at high end with high mass flow they may be more "quick". One end IS compromised but which end is more worth it? i'm not one to answer that question for everyone because everyone will have their own answer.
There is simply one answer, because a proper header that will take full advantage of an engine
Old 09-01-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by [AP2-2NV
,Aug 30 2006, 10:11 AM] i would love a header with a 70mm outlet. and i would love for it to have a merge collector..

there's one header that i've seen that seems to be pretty large, but im not sure, never seen any specs on it

http://www.nsptuner.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=2413

eventually i will probably contact burnsstainess.com for a header design and have someone local build it.
looks almost identical to my old hytech header
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Sep 1 2006, 02:51 PM
looks almost identical to my old hytech header
Your Hy-Tech was a 4-2-1 design though right? I have never seen John do a 4-1.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MINES13,Sep 1 2006, 04:43 PM
Your Hy-Tech was a 4-2-1 design though right? I have never seen John do a 4-1.
no my hytech was a 4-1 design. I bought it off another member and when I saw the pics it looked like a 4-2-1, but when I went to pick it up it wasn't. I was very excited because I know 4-1's are known to make better power, especially top end.

I was lucky to find it though, and almost didn't. I was originally going to have a custom one built by burnsstainless, and I may do that this time around.

Quick Reply: Larger Merge Collector