S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lag In Accelaration

Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lag In Accelaration

Hey guys,

I have a 2000MY S2k, comptech exhaust with full decat. About two weeks ago i had an AEM CAI Fitted. Up until today its been fantastic, i been enjoying the sound and the extra 'breathing'. That was until today,

When i put my foot right down around 2-4 RPM, its as if theres a huge Lag in anything happening. It almost feel like a turbo, i put my foot down, nothing much happens, then WOOOOF- Its as if theres a sudden rush of air, or perhaps fuel into the engine and then off we go.

Vtec engagement is fine, oil level is ok. Ive done a search and i think it may be a map issue, so im off to hit it with a large screw driver in the morning,

Has anyone else experianced this kind of 'lag', or are all MAP issues unique?

The only other thing it could be is a ba batch of fuel, as i just filled up on friday and left her sitting over the weekend.

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks again, sorry to be a pain!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:17 AM

Sounds like big time turbo lag. Mine hesitates for a split second then rockets off. Check under the hood for any signs of a turbocharger and its associates plumbing.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 AM

OK, i had a look, no FI im afraid.

Honestly does feel like a turbo tho. Cant be good for the car
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best bet is do a MAP whack and check if your spark plugs are tight, loose plugs caused this same problem between 2000 and 5000 rpm in my car. It slowly got worse until the car kept trying to stall, probably as the plugs got more and more loose. Early models had problems with the plugs not being tight enough and there was a TSB. Make sure you use a torque wrench on them, you don't want them overtight and you don't want them getting loose again.

Spark plug check:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110520

MAP whack:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209708
Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A hesitation as you describe can be attributed to many things - clogged air filter, poor fuel pressure, MAP sensor issue, bad spark plugs.

Take a look at your new air filter at the end of the AEM. Because of where it sits and if it's been wet or raining out of late, this filter can get totally imbedded with crud.
Next, the MAP. It is now apparent that the wiring harness connections are somewhat "iffy" on this car. Unclip it and wiggled it back on. It may need to be zip tied in place to keep it solid. Honda has a TSB on this and they provide a new MAP sensor and securing system.
How are you spark plugs? Gap? Condition?
Fuel pressure may be the last thing you need to check but if all else fails, have a look.
Traditionally, cars would hesitate on heavy and quick throttle application because the timing doesn't advance fast enough to keep up with the engine's demands. On our car, this would be the responsibility of the ECU and all the associated vacuum lines and sensors. I would suspect that if it were one of these, you would get a CEL, but not necessarily so.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 AM

Hey,

Thanks for all the input. Ive checked the CAI and vacum lines, they all appear to be connected correctly and nothing is blocked.

Ive done the MAP Whack several times.

The i noticed something else. I had recently installed a carbon fibre engine cover tray over the ignition coils. Two of the screws that hold this down were MIA!

So ive now taken it off and replaced it with the OEM in the meantime. However i also decided to check the spark plugs. I didnt have a tool to turn reach them, but i did remove all the coils and check them.

Now it seems a bit better, still a bit of a lag, but not as noticeable bad. Is it possible that the carbon fibre engine cover comming loose may be an indicator to loose spark plugs?

Sorry to rant on, thanks again for all your input
Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_ninobrown,Dec 13 2005, 05:24 AM
Is it possible that the carbon fibre engine cover comming loose may be an indicator to loose spark plugs?
No, that cover has nothing to do with keeping the spark plugs or the coil packs on tight. It's just a cover. The plugs come loose because they may be the old style ones without the stainless steel cruch rings or they may still have the old torque setting. The coil packs can come loose if the retainer bolt is loose.

You might want to check the slack in your throttle cable, too.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 AM

It's not like your spark plugs are going to 'go loose' while the car is sitting. I'd check for a clogged air filter, loose connection of the air intakes components, and loose connections you may have dealt with when installing parts.