S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Koni/GC install- Mounting bolts not lining up... Solution?

Old 03-25-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, here's the dilly-yo!

When I talked to Trent at MVP, he said he had never heard of anyone having this problem. He suggested calling Koni. I went by my alignment shop and told them of the problem. They said they hadn't heard of such a dilema. I tried Koni again(called yesterday also) and got an answer.

It seems during the welding process, the one side(usually the one w/ the welded nut) will bend outward. He suggested taking a mallet(not a metal hammer!) and striking the affected side back parallel to the shock body. I brought the shocks and all 4 bolts to work tonight. We used a vise to hold the good bracket and struck the bad one with a rubber mallet. All four now line up. I forgot to bring the digital camera so as to document any efforts. Fortunately, the efforts yielded good results.

There are many helpful tips on the board for installing suspension products, but not one that is all inclusive for the person that wants to switch to Konis and GC perches. I will try to document the adventure from an idiots perspective. I've only done simple spring replacements. With limited experience, I will not be likely to pass over anything as every step I am questioning myself despite the incredibly detailed instructions provided.

Skip
Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FF2Skip
...despite the incredibly detailed instructions provided.
i feel for ya my brutha
Old 03-25-2004, 07:27 PM

Looking forward to seeing your step-by-step, hopefully all goes well for you, glad to hear everything now lines up.
Del
Old 03-25-2004, 07:39 PM

Now I just have to figure out where to set the perches as a starting point. I did use the lower setting on the Koni shock.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:38 AM

kitwetzler,

Thank you. Bought both and tried them. It is M12 X 1.25.

Guy
Old 03-26-2004, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
Now I just have to figure out where to set the perches as a starting point.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:09 PM

You are correct on both accounts! The springs did not touch the top piece of the assembly when putting them in. You should have heard the voices in my head... "What the heck?! This can't be right. You're going to kill yourself the first time you take it on the freeway... 100+ mph and 'SNAP,' there goes Skip skipping across the road"

This is why I will try to detail the saga with pics and commentary. I had no help so some good pics were never taken. I drove the car to work today. Spring rates are 380 at all four corners. Far less oversteer. I replaced stock shocks/lowering springs because it seemed that the Showas had seen the light on the other side. With them off the car, they seem to be fine.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you preload the suspension when tightening everything up it should not be a problem (the suspension will not sag enough for the springs to lose contact with the spring hats).
Old 03-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by TubeDriver
If you preload the suspension when tightening everything up it should not be a problem (the suspension will not sag enough for the springs to lose contact with the spring hats).
there is no amount of preload that will cure this problem. you cannot be speaking from experience.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed GC on OEM shocks, preload prevented the suspension from allowing the springs to pop out of the perch/hat. When I installed Koni/GC on a WRX I had no problem either. It is somewhat of a moot point, use the Koni setting that allows the springs to stay seated, the GC will still allow a decent range of adjustment/lowering. One other option is to get longer Eibach spring from GC. We did just that on the WRX install.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iCEE

Quick Reply: Koni/GC install- Mounting bolts not lining up... Solution?