S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Koni/GC install- Mounting bolts not lining up... Solution?

Old 03-24-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also tried to thread the bolts before i installed the shocks. i think koni put too much paint on the threads, but they did go on.

the nut didn't line up perfectly, but i was able to start to thread the bolt.

does the end of the shock look like this or is it worse?

Old 03-24-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The inner distance between the two mounting tabs should be 2". One of the shocks has an ID of 2.125"(2 1/8th). Another has 1 15/16". The two are very close to 2", but one of those seems to be slightly twisted.

Very much bumming here.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 PM

These are the fronts.

If you look at the end of the one box, you can see the imprint of the welded-on nut at the bottom of the shock assembly.

This one of the rears. The two rear shocks seemed to have "touched" a few times while in transport.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:04 PM

this is what happen to mine, box was messed up, while installing i couldnt thread in the bolt. my friend actualyl striped the bolt while screwing it in. n i had to take it to a shop, i guess our airgun didnt have that much pressure.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:06 AM

I'm not reinstalling the Showa/Tanabe setup just so that I can pay someone else to do what I could do if the parts were the way they were supposed to be. My car is up on all fours.

I bought a small vise last night. After more consideration, I am reluctant to use it. My fear is that I would bend the bracket at the weld and not at the 22.5* bend.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip,
A couple of options come to mind. I would not worry to much about the spacing between flanges as any slight difference will vanish when the shook is mounted and the connections tightened. However, if the flanges are twisted enough to prevent the bollt from seating the nut threads than you have to tweak them a bit. I would not worry about tweaking a bit with a vise since it will be fine onece it is torqued down. I would NOT enlarge the hole as this might allow the the shock to shift once mounted. I agree it sucks whena new part does not fit right out of the box, thats enough for me to simply stay away from them in the future.

1) Contact Koni and see what they have to say (they might just send you 4 replacements) Tell them you need them by the weekend and they should FedEx them overnight to you.

2) You could just remove the threads on the bad nut and then push a bolt through and than use a new nut (sitting on the old threadless nut). Hopfully the bolt in long enough, if not get a replacement from Home depot (look for grade 8 bolts).

3) I would strip the paint of the threads on the nut using a chemical stripper or by repeatly running the bolt throgh from the opposite side. This will increase the chances of the bolt going in correctly when actually installing them

4) You could just torque them will pushing in and hope the bolt and nut line up right. You will be able to tell. If they do not and you strip the nut and/or bolt then refer to option #2.

If it was me I would contact Koni and tell them that this is the problem. I would tell them that you plan on attempting the complete the install but if the install fails you expect replacement parts. At this point they may tell you to stop and they will send replacement parts before anything else. If not than, I would do option #3, then I would attempt option #4. If the bolts strip than send them back Koni, if not you are done. Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:06 AM

I think MVP should step to the plate and next day air you another set, that way you can get them on your car ASAP. Let MVP and the shipper worry about what's what after you are taken care of. That's just my customer service oriented .02. I would be very disappointed paying good money and having to fart around with it to get it to work right
Del
Old 03-25-2004, 11:08 AM

those definitely look banged up. I used to sell suspension parts, the Koni boxes are not enough to ship by alone... we used to wrap them and pad the boxes quite a bit.

sorry this happened. If you try to bend the bracket back, I would do it with a couple sets of vice grips, so you can better control where it bends. just be careful not to fatigue them!

personally, I would send them back or file a claim with the shipper.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 PM

Anyone know the size and thread of the bolt ,so I could thread one through the set of Koni's I just got, BEFORE I attempt the install.

Thanks,

Guy
Old 03-25-2004, 12:13 PM

M12 x 1.25 or M12 x1.5

Pretty sure it's M12 x 1.25

Quick Reply: Koni/GC install- Mounting bolts not lining up... Solution?