S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Known Problems with Greddy oil filter adapter?

Old 03-09-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Known Problems with Greddy oil filter adapter?

Hi all,

a friend of mine has installed a greddy oil filter adapter Type-B (as attachment of an oil temp sensor) plus a new oil filter. One week after this installation he drove on the race track in germany (Hockenheim) and after some rounds the oil filter untightened !!

The oil was squeezed out between greddy and oilfilter and catched fire!!! Luckily he stopped fast enough and used his fireextinguisher (I think I have to buy one too) to prevent further damage.

Do you know of problems with this oil filter adapter? Is there a special oil filter necessary? The greddy fitted well on the engine block but the filter itself untightened.

Thank you for your help to avoid this in the future,
Cosimino

Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 AM

Cosimino,

Here is a thread that has some info about a similar experience with my car. Though, in my case i was running a stock oil filter with out an adapter. It is apparently not uncommon for the stock filters to come loose.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=102605

This thread talks about what I am doing to prevent this from happening in the future.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=106932
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 AM

Hi Dave,

thank you for your fast answer!

But you are still working on a solution - right? What are you doing to prevent the slackening of the stock oil filter? And unfortunately I still don't understand your solution, maybe you can explain it a little more.

Cosimino
Old 03-09-2003, 03:11 PM

Ahhh...

My solution is to never again use the stock oil filter and to setup a filter system that's more reliable and outperforms the stock setup. By that I mean the following, a setup that will never come loose and spray hot oil on the header as well as a setup that will flow better and filter better than the stock system.

To that end I currently have installed a CM Remote Canister Oil Filter and a Remote oil filter adapter. With the filter adapter safety wired there should be no way for anything to come loose again.

I should point out that there are oil filters made that allow you to use safety wire to secure them, that might be a more desirable solution for you.

My intent in going with a remote setup is to kill three birds with one stone. 1) filter reliability and efficiency. 2) Integration of an Accusump to counteract the effects on oil flow of the high G lateral loads seen at the track. And 3) Integration of an external oil cooler.

I currently have the remote filter and adapter installed in the car. I'm currently waiting to receive the Accusump and I have yet to order the parts needed for the oil cooler.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Greddy adapter on my car for about 2 years and have used a variety of filters with no problems. But I tighten down the filter 3/4 of a turn past hand tight.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 AM

Hi Dave and Rick,

thank you very much for your help - I think my first job will be to fix the oil filter to avoid this.

But I am still very interested in the Accusump solution of Rick: keep us informed!!

Cosimino