S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knocking sound at idle (vid)

Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to tell u but it sounds exactly like my car did when I had a severly scored cylinder wall... good excuse to build ur motor, thats what I did. My car was turbo and this happened to me because I had a guy tune my car that didnt know what he was doing. So if this is ur problem and assuming ur mostly stock... u need to figure out what caused this which could be a huge task in itself. My guess would be a bad fuel injector or if u have an ap1 I think I remember reading a post that said the oil jet bolts could cause a scored cylinder wall... Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about the oil jet bolt issue will chime in.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 AM

also the easiest way to check the cylinder walls is to pull the oil pan... obviously u can't see the whole cylinder wall but my scuff went the whole length of the stroke.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey - Just seen this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/792...arings__st__25

Sounds a bit like my noise only much much worse...

... ever get that sinking feeling?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 AM

In your last video it really sounds like TCT at 16 seconds. Might be worth investing in a new one to be absolutely sure, sometimes sandblasting doesn't always sort it.

A compression test might also be worth doing, where are you in the UK?

EDIT, after listening to the video you linked to it does some very similar
Old 03-31-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by buaan
In your last video it really sounds like TCT at 16 seconds. Might be worth investing in a new one to be absolutely sure, sometimes sandblasting doesn't always sort it.

A compression test might also be worth doing, where are you in the UK?

EDIT, after listening to the video you linked to it does some very similar

I'm in London.

I did compression test cylinders 1, 3 & 4 and they all came out reading identical.

I was however completely shocked to find the first 30% of the spark plug thread on cylinder 2 had gone.. actually gone... It doesn’t seem to make any difference with the plug but my compression tester has a much shorter thread and I couldn’t get it in so number 2 remains a mystery.

Christ knows what happened to the thread – there is nothing in the big folder of receipts regarding it – perhaps it has been heli-coiled but I can’t tell.

I’m actually leaving work early today to run home and take the sump\pan off to inspect the cylinders for scoring – I am really really nervous about it as a new engine block is going to cost me thousands. I'll post up pictures as soon as I am done.

IF... and it’s a big IF... the cylinder walls and fine I am probably going to replace the rod bearings and see how things go.

I’ve also just picked up a compressor so I might as well borrow a leak tester and check the condition of the head.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 AM

If I was in your position, I would check the cylinder walls for scoring (as your going to), then check on rod bearings out and the crank for damage. You could even plastigauge and check the tolerances at the same time. As long as you torque the caps back up they will be fine. If both are visually ok; I'd replace the TCT, it's the cheapest option.

As BillMan said on the other thread, if the compression is higher on 4 then its probably piston skirt damage. If your are all showing identical readings it's probably not piston slap.

If the bottom end does turn out to be fubar, the best option is to replace the whole engine with a newer lower mileage unit (£2000-2500)

You could even get a bargin and buy the whole gearbox/engine/ancillary combo and have a full lower mileage setup. Contact GarageR in sheffield, Rob the owner has done a load of S2000 engine replacements and can source and fit a replacement unit.

Buying a brand new bottom end from Honda doesn't make financial sense; it would be cheaper to have the bottom end rebuild with darton steel liners, new pistons/rings, reground crank and sized bearings. A company like ClockWiseMotion could do this for you.

I hope you find a solution and it doesn't cost you alot
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Cheers buaan! I hope it doesn't cost me too much as well. :-)

So the plot thickens - I took the sump off this afternoon and to my horror discovered it was full of crap - bastard I thought, that's my engine fubr (as you put it) probably a disintegrated bearing, however on closer inspection they are bits of... PLASTIC!?

Hmmm I'm really not sure how they got there but I am somewhat relived there wasn't any metel bits in there, I even ran a magnet through to make sure.

Also, the bores look ok as well? The light was failing and only had a pretty rubbish torch so I'll have to confirm tomorrow but they looked clean as a whistle.

If they are ok I guess I'll start checking clearances tomorrow.

I think I'm relieved but also confused...

Will post some pictures up tomorrow.
James
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Any news on what the problem was??? Was the noise very noticable even with the hood down???
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 AM

Thats really weird! Plastic?

Check the bearings and the oil pick up, some of the debris might have blocked an oil channel and starved some of the bearings of oil

Good news if the bores are not scored, if the crank is intact you might be able to get away with putting new bearings in. They are colour coded by size by the way (brown, green, etc) so remember where each one came out.

Fair do's on getting the sump off, most people wouldnt have the balls

Good luck
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Cheers, i've rebuilt a couple of engines before so I know my way around a spanner etc - it's not look good in this case though mate, check out my other thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/856...ts-in-sumppan/

Looks like a piston wrist pin to me. :-(

Quick Reply: Knocking sound at idle (vid)