S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knocking noise when Idle

Old 10-03-2001, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise when Idle

I used the search function and couldn't really come up with much.

Does anyone here notice a knocking noise when idle? It sounds like its coming from the right side of the engine. I don't hear it when I'm driving (probably because the Exhaust drowns it out).

The only two 'real' mods that I've put into my car are the Comptech Exhaust and the DC Sports Headers. I don't remember the knocking noise when the exhaust was installed, but the knocking noise did start up after the Headers were installed (not sure if its just a coincidence or the problem). I'm going to try and pull the headers off this weekend to see if that might've been the problem. I'm also going to check the oil level several times over the next few days to see if that could be the cause.

Anyone else run into something like this or know what may cause this type of problem? Thanks.

Jaykkub
Old 10-03-2001, 11:38 AM

I heard a rattling or knocking at idle when the adjustable fpr was set too low. The car ran rich with loss of power shown on dyno, as though the S2000 was overcompensating from idle. I reset the fpr to near upper factory spec and the car sounds much better at idle and the car is running better mpg with clean exhaust.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:46 AM

I`d take a peek at the header 1st and then the exh. The exh could be hitting something under the car. Also, try popping your hood and throwing a few revs manually at the t-body

Ryan
Old 10-03-2001, 12:38 PM

I didn't think it could be the exhaust, but I'll check that out after we pull the headers.

Also, after I turn the car off the knocking noise continues. (So that may rule out the exhaust being the problem)

Anyone else have any ideas on this type of problem.

Jaykkub
Old 10-03-2001, 01:42 PM

When you say knock, do you mean and understand the technical term? Our are you using the generic word to describe a sound? Could you try to describe the noise in a different way so that we can better understand it.

If you have a "rod knock" it's serious. If the noise is a tick or tap or chuff or ding it could be compeltely different. Describe it in a different way and I'll take another crack at it.

It's possible what you are hearing is heat related expansion noises. Does this sound like it?
Old 10-03-2001, 01:43 PM

rod knock wouldn`t happen after the car is turned off
Old 10-03-2001, 03:45 PM

By knocking I mean the actual sound that I am hearing.

(15 minutes later...)I just took it for a drive right now to hear the sound again...

I started the car and didn't hear the noise at all. I let it sit idle for about 5 minutes and still didn't hear anything. I REV'd a few times and still nothing.

After letting it sit for a few minutes longer I took it out for a drive. The drive was less than 5 minutes. When I came back the noise was there and continued once the car was turned off. I didn't drive the car hard at all. No where near redline.

The noise sounds like a tap coming from the right side of the engine bay. [I'm not a mechanic and I'm still learning about the car, so my descriptions may sound strange or vague.]

It sounds like its coming from around the Headers...or in that general area. At first it sounded like it was coming from the Fan area, but when I turned the car off I could hear that it wasn't from that area at all.

It's possible what you are hearing is heat related expansion noises. Does this sound like it?
I have no idea how to really check that...

Anyone think it might be something else other than what's been said?

Jaykkub
Old 10-03-2001, 03:51 PM

I think you are just hearing the sound of the exhaust piping and header as they cool down. I would call it more of a metalic click-click-click.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:05 PM

Yeah, thats possible. It does make a 'clicking' noise.

Really what I want to know is...do you think this is something I should be worried about?

Does anyone else here have aftermarket headers and exhaust and notices this type of clicking noise?

Anyone have the DC Sports Headers and Comptech Exhaust with a similiar type of problem?

Jaykkub
Old 10-03-2001, 04:06 PM

fyi, huge difference between a tick/click and a knock haha

Quick Reply: Knocking noise when Idle