S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knocking on cold start?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Yes, I can do retainer swaps no problem. About the only thing on this car I don't do is build differentials, I leave that up to the pro Ben Herne (aka Puddydad). I've done multiple full motor tear down and rebuilds, multiple transmission rebuilds, 20-30 head builds, 30+ retainer swaps, 50+ valve adjustments, etc. etc. haha. It's like riding a bike for me, just comes naturally.
Awesome, well if I do get this taken care of I will almost certainly be bringing it your way, I just wanna get my baby running right. This whole fear of my engine being on it's way out, really sucks..
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Well guys I went and talked to the previous owner and he said he'd never heard the noise I was describing which seems crazy to me that this would've just randomly started but either way what's done is done and I've got what I've got so I need to deal with it, I also uncovered the car and took videos of both inside the car and under the good on it's first cold start up. And to be honest it doesn't seem as violent as I remember but anyways here it is, tell me what you guys think, I'm pretty sure the other video and your previous identification of the sounds were spot on and if that's the case can either Billman or Jordan tell me what you would do to repair this so I can run it past my buddy and see if he'd be willing to do it?
Anyway, here it is

http://youtu.be/UcdZ3Vu1V3A

Thanks again guys
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Spun bearing, guaranteed. I strongly believe it is a perfect candidate for a quick fix, that is not bad at all. Keep the running to a minimum, and keep the RPMs low until its fixed.

Whoever does it must be very competent with shoelace polishing, and plastic gauge to achieve .0015.

I would have bearing halves on hand, from Honda, in the last 3 thickness color codes.

When he takes the bearing cap off, the crank is going to appear to be in good shape, believe me that is impossible. At the micro level, there are imperfections that will shred a new bearing in a week.

The crank will feel like a dirty car.

When done, it should be mirror finish and feel like a freshly compounded and waxed car. 100% perfect results can be achieved here.

There will be shavings in the oil pump pickup which can be fished out with pick and mirror, and in some cases shavings will sit on top of the oil jet bolts that will need to come out and be cleaned.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Spun bearing, guaranteed. I strongly believe it is a perfect candidate for a quick fix, that is not bad at all. Keep the running to a minimum, and keep the RPMs low until its fixed.

Whoever does it must be very competent with shoelace polishing, and plastic gauge to achieve .0015.

I would have bearing halves on hand, from Honda, in the last 3 thickness color codes.

When he takes the bearing cap off, the crank is going to appear to be in good shape, believe me that is impossible. At the micro level, there are imperfections that will shred a new bearing in a week.

The crank will feel like a dirty car.

When done, it should be mirror finish and feel like a freshly compounded and waxed car. 100% perfect results can be achieved here.

There will be shavings in the oil pump pickup which can be fished out with pick and mirror, and in some cases shavings will sit on top of the oil jet bolts that will need to come out and be cleaned.
Man, it must be awful easy to spin a bearing in these cars. Could it have been caused by running the lol a bit low once? Because when I got the car, one of the CELs on the computer was a VTEC malfunction and I read a lot about it and most people said the most common cause was low oil. From everyone I read about it seemed like if the code was active VTEC wouldn't engage, but when I got the car everything worked properly and as it should and the oil was to proper level. I'm wondering if maybe it was run low once, addressed and the codes weren't cleared.
Also I'm wondering if there's any way that it isn't a spun bearing because all the people that heard it say it sounds like something else (I'm in no way doubting your abilities or knowledge) I'm just wondering it there's something from the video making it sound different.
So basically I'm wondering if maybe it's like a dry start noise and maybe it's from it being so cold here (about 5-15°F average since it's been making these noises) when it was slightly warmer I don't recall the noise being this loud or frightening and on of my friends was able to almost identically replicate the noise on his wife's Saturn sky (30,000 miles 4cyl timing chain)
I'm just trying to find any way that it might not be what we fear it is. Because like I said before, I really just don't have the money to fix it so it would sit for at least a couple months and that's the last thing I want to do...

Also side note: my oil was completely clean, no shimmer or little bits in it.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM

What oil weight are you using and is it topped off? I haven't heard a spun bearing or rod knock that lasts for two seconds then goes away. It doesn't seem to be about warming up the car so much as getting the oil through the engine on initial start.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMs...e_gdata_player
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mosmoe
What oil weight are you using and is it topped off? I haven't heard a spun bearing or rod knock that lasts for two seconds then goes away. It doesn't seem to be about warming up the car so much as getting the oil through the engine on initial start.
That's what I was thinking, and since it's been so cold I put 5-30 in it. It's what I've used in all my other Hondas(although it would seem the general consensus on this forum is 10-30???, correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM

So, it turned out that the motor was incredibly damaged, main bearings were being shaved away and I'm guessing the slop created by that was causing the noise we heard. Any way on to the good bits.

I got in touch with Jordanksartell and if any one had any questions about his work, please contact me. Trust me, his prices are more than fair and his work is second to none. I was very skeptical when I sent him my first parts payment of almost $2,000, as I have been scammed before, but now I could not be happier I went the route that I took. My new motor that he hand built is perfect. His recommendations were never to try and "up sell" me, they were all from experience and expertise with these cars and motors. I can not express how happy I am with the motor and my experience working with Jordan. It was almost a 6 hour drive to him for me, but I won't take my car anywhere else now. If anyone has any questions on his work or his honesty you have my full permission to contact me about any of your concerns. My email is Slapasaurusrex@gmail.com

Thanks guys, have fun out there and be safe!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

About time someone can build an S2000 motor right the first time
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

we truly are lucky to have such great members. Thanks Jordan and Bill!

Quick Reply: Knocking on cold start?