S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Do you hate the S2000 Knock Sensor?
YES! Die you infernal $220 screw! (I mean please don't)
57.14%
No, he's cool.
38.10%
What's a knock sensor?
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Knock Sensor Woes

Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Woes

In an attempt to troubleshoot a random misfire problem I am now in deeper than I ever wanted to be:

Apparently there is so little information - and absolutely no diagrams or pictures about this infamous knock sensor... even the s2000 service manual simply says "replace knock sensor" at one point like it's changing an air filter.

It turns out this horrible little expensive screw-with-a-resistor is bolted into the engine block at a completely invisible location (unless one were to remove the engine from the car).

One guy gave some handy tips here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry18441424
but, alas, no pictures.

Now, I am stuck with a knock sensor that has split in half! The electrical connector and components came right off! The bolt is still in the engine block... I have a 24mm deep socket and a 1/2 drive ratchet with a U-joint adaptor and I am still trying ot get it off. I am taking the oportunity to take a break and write this rant. When I finally get all of this sorted I will turn this post into the be-all end-all of knock sensor information so no one else has to endure this.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken dreams are made of honda knock sensors. About every honda power plant has very fragile knock sensors. The S is especially bad about them breaking. Most people kill them changing the starter.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knock sensor is located directly below the intake manifold. you can get to it from under the car on the drivers side up between where the engine and trans meet.. or if you have small enough hands you can remove the alternator and squeeze in that way
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know the frequency it works at? In my Emanage it shows 12.22 I think...
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM

I bought mine used at a whooping $50 and didn't struggle much in replacing it. So don't be a big baby, you can do it!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a pita to get to and I had a hell of a time finding a 24mm socket only to find that it was deep enough to remove my broken knock sensor but not deep enough for the good one that replaces it.

On RHD I pulled the battery and used two extensions on a ratchet to get to it. You can actually see it between two of the runners on the intake manifold. Will require a torch in the mouth though.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM

I replaced my knock sensor, then got a engine light for a faulty knock sensor, went to inspect and remove, but now it's just spinning, can't tighten or remove, fml, any info of how to remove it, it may be stripped n stuck, thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cloud9bill
I replaced my knock sensor, then got a engine light for a faulty knock sensor, went to inspect and remove, but now it's just spinning, can't tighten or remove, fml, any info of how to remove it, it may be stripped n stuck, thanks
Sounds like you bought an aftermarket knock sensor? I did the same when I used an attermarket part the other day. When you tighten it too much it breaks off level with the block and the head just spins on its internals! When I did it, if I could have mustered up the tears I swear I would have cried! I removed the air box, aux belt , alternator, injector manifold bracket and tensioner with mount. Then I could break off what remained of the sensor with pliers leaving it flush with the block. Then I took a very long flat blade screwdriver and with the help of a hammer carefully formed a flat in the middle of what remained of the sensor from above between the intake manifold. Then I used a very short flat blade screwdriver to unscrew the remains! Worked for me but I wouldn't want to do it again! Bought the Honda part after that, it tightens fine with no worries! Good luck!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by paul2011s2000
Sounds like you bought an aftermarket knock sensor? I did the same when I used an attermarket part the other day. When you tighten it too much it breaks off level with the block and the head just spins on its internals! When I did it, if I could have mustered up the tears I swear I would have cried! I removed the air box, aux belt , alternator, injector manifold bracket and tensioner with mount. Then I could break off what remained of the sensor with pliers leaving it flush with the block. Then I took a very long flat blade screwdriver and with the help of a hammer carefully formed a flat in the middle of what remained of the sensor from above between the intake manifold. Then I used a very short flat blade screwdriver to unscrew the remains! Worked for me but I wouldn't want to do it again! Bought the Honda part after that, it tightens fine with no worries! Good luck!
This just happened to me my heart is pounding cause I was so close to putting the engine back into my car, can I basically drill into the middle of the whole sensor until it goes inside of the thread to tighten the outside with the block thread and spin out ???
Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,661 Posts

My Honda ITR B18C motor didn't have the knock sensor wired up. As I was researching how to get one wired up I was surprised to find that many Honda owners don't run the knock sensor as it is notorious for giving false readings. I don't recommend it as every engine is different but my JDM ITR motor has 11:1 compression and has been running for years without a knock sensor.

I swear the S2000 knock sensor is made of paper mache