S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knock Sensor Malfunction Code

Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Knock Sensor Malfunction Code

So my car threw a CEL on the way to school. i pulled over and scanned it and it said KNOCK SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. my car's going to my mech at Honda next week to get the new clutch/flywheel put in so i'll let him look at it then. should i not be driving my car? i've gotten this code before when i downshifted and barely hit the rev limiter and then i cleared it and it never came back. but now it's just staying there. should i not be driving my car? my mech, who knows a LOT, said that once it's on the car will compensate for what it thinks could be the problem so that i don't damage anything.

i got the code last summer (but i think it might have just been knock sensor SOMETHING, dunno if it was KNOCK SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION) when i had a VAFC2 installed but it was never tuned. all the corrections were just set to 0%. the code came off when i took off the VAFC2 and never came back.

i now have an AFC Neo and i just installed a supercharger and got it tuned but i've been driving it below 4,000rpm all along because the clutch started slipping like no other. and the code just came on yesterday--almost 4 weeks after getting the supercharger in and the car tuned.

another interesting thing--my clutch used to slip on every single shift and whenever i hit VTEC but now it's just like before. it's grippy as ever and it hasn't slipped since the code came on (stock clutch). is this because the ECU is cutting my power and doing other things to compensate for the fact that there is a knock sensor circuit malfunction? oh i haven't worked on anything near where the knock sensor is (i think it's located behind the alternator right?)

thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM

bump
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A malfunctioning knock sensor can cause the ecu to pull timing to a "safe" level. That will cause a loss of power.

It would be very easy for your mechanic to replace the knock sensor and check the wires to the sensor when he does your clutch.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:18 PM

thanks for the confirmation neg. he's gonna look at it when i take the car to him.