S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knock Sensor: Different cars work, Money Saver!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is full of win! I am entertained.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has a ep3, i help replace his knock sensor, 30530-ppl-a01, and I recently changed mine, the two sensors does not even look alike, they are two totally different sensors,
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

not an s2k part? then its not meant for the s2k! Simple as that
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaissi
Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k,Oct 19 2010, 01:20 PM
The only thing I can guess is the F22 doesn't have larger pistons or different shape, just a different stroke.
No doubt, but you didn't answer me... you supported my question

If the shape of the piston is the one that affects the knock sound then that is why F20 and F22 uses the same knock sensor and do not use the CIVIC or ACCORD knock sensor...

But is it the case?!!

I would imagine it is based off of the natural frequency of the engine block.

http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater/SD..._frequency.htm
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's simple. If it's not tuned for your motor it will not work. This is a basic, well understood part.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I'd imagine when any knock sensor is designed, the engine it was designed for was made to produce a spark-knock under controlled conditions. I would also believe the knock sensor was designed to "listen" for that specific frequency, and deem it as spark-knock (pre-ignition).

I would imagine many factors could affect THAT PARTICULAR frequency. Position, engine wall thickness, amount of accessories, the list is endless. Take an exhaust on a running car. Hold it with your hands while running, you change its tune. I'd imagine therte are a range of frequencies, and sometimes they may repeat on different model cars. But each is designed to hear the knock on the engine it was designed for.

I will safely conclude that the frequency of spark-knock on the s2k is different than the civic. I think if you use the civic sensor, the ECU will just not "hear" the spark knock. In addition, other frequencies could set it off. will it keep your CEL off? Of course. Will it protect you engine from spark-knock? I highly doubt it.

does anyone else agree with this?

For me and my customers, s2k knock sensor only. There is no way I would recommend anything else. Not for nothing, it's not a wear item. People break it because they are careless, and it positioned just right, and fragile. If you are looking for a cheaper knock sensor, YOU or your "mechanic" broke it or you bought the car that way.
I think there's no doubt this guy knows what he's talking about. I broke my Knock sensor doing my clutch. I then bought an aftermarket sensor which I broke off level with the block when fitting it! On inspection of the internals of both, they were very different. The aftermarket part seemed not only to be made differently but also sub-stantard(that's why it broke off)! I then thought, it's £2000+ for a used engine here in the UK, can I really justify saving £100 on something that might not work correctly-er no!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing back from the dead. Any engines went kaboom?

Any uprated version, something like a titanium-noob-mechanic-unbreakable?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow some odd years later.. I still had no issues with the knock sensor on the car - though it may have worked for me, there was no definitive proof it would work correctly on the S2000 - it was a simple cheaper fix, but no looking back on it, I would just buy the now (161.00) sensor from Majestic Honda. In my younger days though, I was all for testing new ideas, I figure we never advance in society when everyone does the same thing. I never used scan tools to test the two to see if they could produce the same frequency or not. With this all said, since there is no definitive evidence, I would not recommend using a different knock sensor on the S2000.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Its false economy to use the wrong part here.

There is no way to know if the substituted part is failing to detect knock. Even if someone comes and says they used one for X years with no issues means nothing. Did you reduce your engines lifespan from 400k miles to 250k? If you're still at 140k, how would you know?

Since there is no easy way to know if substituting is causing damage or not, and there is clear reasons to think it might not be able to detect the knock it needs to, save money elsewhere. Try not to break your knock sensor!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run a Mugen ECU for over ten years and it ignores the knock sensor. I don't know of any issues related to that.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor: Different cars work, Money Saver!