S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knock Knock

Old 09-21-2024, 05:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knock Knock

2002 S2000 136k miles. 2 oil changes ago I used a dark blue filter and noticed a knock that lasted for a couple minutes and then it went away. Never heard it again. Did an oil change and used a Napa gold filter this time, still no knock.

Recently was out driving around and when I came to a stop I could hear it knocking. Shut the car off went in the store, came back and started it and the knock was gone. Seems the knock only starts once the car is hot and goes away when it cools off.

Today I pulled the oil pan off to check for rod bearing damage, and found a tiny bit of glitter in the oil. No chunks of anything or slivers of bearing material. I didn’t take the rod bearings out but from looking at them everything looked fine. I’m a doof and didn’t take any pictures of anything but I do have a video of the knock.

Also had billman install a TCT hoping it was a timing rattle (I was pretty sure it wasn’t but was hopeful it was an easy fix.) To me, the sound is more prominent near the top at the front of the motor.

Any input is greatly appreciated and forgive me if this was posted in the incorrect spot. This is my first time posting on any forum.

Here is the video of the sound
Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like rod knock
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Member (Premium)

yea thats what i thought, but i didnt see any signs of a spun bearing when i dropped the oil pan
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,081 Posts

A couple oil changes even with generic oil filters shouldn't have harmed anything. Any idea the oil change schedule previous to this? Got enough used oil in the engine to get it analyzed? This will provide wear/damage information. Car has had a hard life according to the little video -- your abuse or a previous owner?

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Member (Premium)

I know the previous 2 owners did not take care of it at all. 1 dove it like it was stolen and the other let it sit for years. I just got it in this condition a couple months ago because the owner couldn't afford to put a clutch in it. So car has definitely had a rough life.

I dropped the oil pan to check for a spun bearing, but didn't see any evidence of that. Now im hesitant to order new bearings for it if they aren't the problem. Then again, it's tore apart so sliding some new bearings in wouldn't take much. Is it worth throwing some in it just to see if that takes care of the knock?
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Would say top end piston related
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by nealzak
I know the previous 2 owners did not take care of it at all. 1 dove it like it was stolen and the other let it sit for years. I just got it in this condition a couple months ago because the owner couldn't afford to put a clutch in it. So car has definitely had a rough life.

I dropped the oil pan to check for a spun bearing, but didn't see any evidence of that. Now im hesitant to order new bearings for it if they aren't the problem. Then again, it's tore apart so sliding some new bearings in wouldn't take much. Is it worth throwing some in it just to see if that takes care of the knock?
Rod bearings can wear out. Its probably worth it to do it, as long as you can commit to following the factory service procedure perfectly and if you can properly decipher and buy the right bearing sizes from a Honda dealer.
Old Today, 07:22 AM

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Yes, definitely don't use aftermarket bearings. Use only correct size bearings from Honda.

Each engine was hand assembled, builder would select the bearings size that best matched that crank journal, that rod.

This is how they achieved the tight clearances required for 9k rpm, yet not using any exotic machining to exacting tolerances. Bearing sizes used to accomodate standard tolerance deviations.

Need to choose same bearing sizes as used during original build. Not a bad idea to hand polish crank at same time. Billman can do it with crank still in situ.

Aftermarket bearings, even high performance ones, only one size. You machine your parts to achieve desired clearances to those bearings. Meaning not suitable if just replacing bearings.
Old Today, 10:43 AM
Member (Premium)

yea i have no problem following service info on it. i have access to prodemand but will most likely invest in a service manual for it
Old Today, 10:46 AM
Member (Premium)

yea i dropped the pan to get the code for the bearings. all 4 were 3B, so i ordered a set of honda green bearings for it. ive been talking to bilman since i went to his shop to get a TCT installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by nealzak:
bad_driver (Today), windhund116 (Today)

Quick Reply: Knock Knock