S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which kind amsoil should I use for my diff?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Some are doing their research
To bad they have missed an important thing.
SAE J306 spec was changed.
That's all I'm saying.
Because it's all, and I really mean ALL, been said before.
Nevertheless: 75W-110 and 75W-140 are IMO much better than the popular 75W-90 oils.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 8 2009, 03:40 PM
Some are doing their research
To bad they have missed an important thing.
SAE J306 spec was changed.
That's all I'm saying.
Because it's all, and I really mean ALL, been said before.
Nevertheless: 75W-110 and 75W-140 are IMO much better than the popular 75W-90 oils.

ah yes, thanks for the correction on the spec change, though I still believe the 75w-110 weight is the perfect fluid for the best of both worlds, hot and cold weather performance.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool thanks for all your help
Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see, said the blind man....lol, but i also see that 75/140 is overkill for our 4.10 final gear, don't ya think, "possibly resulting in poor fuel economy or shift problems"

"The need for redefined classifications centered on the wide variation in kinematic viscosity possible for SAE 90 and SAE 140 grade lubricant. In the prior version of SAE J306, these ranges were so broad that lubricant viscosity could vary greatly and still technically be in grade. Two new viscosity grades were introduced to cover the upper end of the specifications, SAE 110 and SAE 190. The more narrowly defined classification provides OEMs with greater flexibility in specifying a viscosity grade to ensure an optimal balance of fuel economy and durability for their equipment.

In addition, under the old designations, an axle could be serviced with a lubricant having a viscosity significantly lower or higher than the lubricant with which the axle was validated. To prevent the axle from being filled with a lubricant with too low a viscosity, an OEM was forced to specify a higher viscosity grade than actually desired.

For example, under the old classifications, if the optimum 100°C viscosity for an axle was 19.5 cSt, the OEM would normally specify an SAE 90 lubricant. However, the actual viscosity of this lubricant could be as low as 13.5 cSt, which might be too low to provide the required durability. To prevent this problem, the OEM would recommend an SAE 140 grade lubricant, ensuring that viscosity would never fall below 19.5 cSt. Unfortunately, that also means viscosity could be as high as 41.0 cSt, possibly resulting in poor fuel economy or shift problems. Under the new limits, the OEM would recommend SAE 110 grade lubricant, which meets the 19.5 cSt requirements and ensures that the axle is serviced with a lubricant having a viscosity no higher than 31 cSt.

A Question of Balance

OEMs are challenged today to meet the often conflicting demands for improved fuel economy coupled with improved axle durability. Government regulations are dictating better fuel economy, while vehicle owners are demanding increased performance. Engine horsepower has increased by 34% over the last decade, but axle gear sizes have remained constant, sump capacities have been reduced, and drain intervals have been extended. These demanding conditions can be met only by axle lubricants that provide enhanced durability protection.

Axle efficiency can be improved by using lower viscosity fluids (such as SAE 75W-90), which minimize frictional churning losses. However, light trucks and SUVs are often used in conditions that expose axles to heavy loads or high operating temperatures. These conditions require superior axle protection, often provided by choosing a heavier viscosity fluid (SAE 75W-140, for example). Commercial vehicle applications may have even more stringent durability requirements. However, providing high durability and long vehicle life often reduces fuel efficiency.

The new viscosity classifications provide more flexibility for OEMs to select the optimum viscosity grade for an application. For example, the SAE 110 grade should be useful in an SUV or light duty truck where improved fuel economy is important but high torque or durability at high speed operation is essential. This new classification should aid OEMs in specifying a fluid viscosity more tightly to ensure that the lubricant has the intended physical properties for a given application.

The SAE 190 grade may allow better efficiency and enable multigrade performance in severe duty applications where high film strengths are needed. These end uses may include applications such as construction equipment operated in extreme temperature environments. The end result is a better match of fluid performance to axle needs.

Your Labels May Need To Change

The revised SAE J306 may cause some labeling issues in the marketplace. Lubricants should be labeled according to the guidelines of the revised standards. The problem is that lubricants blended to the high end of the old ranges may be on the market labeled as SAE 90 or SAE 140, when they are really SAE 110 or SAE 190 lubricants. Lubricant manufacturers should examine their records and adjust their labels to reflect the viscosity ranges described in the updated SAE J306 standard."

http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdditives...ifications.html