S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Kill Switch

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch

Looking to install a kill switch and have done a search for what wire to splice into and haven't found what I would like.

I want it to be under the dash, easy to splice and access. If anyone knows where or which wire is best (I am thinking start button, but it is a little in accessible to splice or the key switch).

If you have a schematic that would be great, if you don't want to post it, just pm me.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM

You could probably use the same wires that kill the car when a turbo timer shuts it down. There is a DIY article on that in the tech section.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM

Did a search on turbo timer install and found a wiring diagram, am going to try using it to wire this thing up! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Just get a pinout for the ECU, find the output signal for the fuel pump, snip, and extend the wires to the location you want the switch, mount the switch and that should do the trick.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 AM

Just my opinion but switches are prone to fail when they have continuous power running through them. I would go with a self energizing relay setup also known as a latching relay setup. I have had one in my civic for 4 years now with no problems.

Let me see if I can find you a picture of one.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 AM

http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_antitheft.html

On this page there is a link to the word document with the kill switch diagram... I don't take any credit for anything on this page or diagram.... this is the exact setup I have except no hardwired bypass switch.

And if you don't know how a relay works....well then there's howstuffworks.com and some other diy websites that can show you....
Or maybe you shouldn't be installing a kill switch by yourself.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks, but I just want to use a ground wire that I can leave open so the starter won't engage. It is pretty simple and everything will look like the car is ready to start, but the starter won't turn. Just my plan to slow a thief down and so that my wife leaves my toy alone!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by paulzale,Jun 5 2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks, but I just want to use a ground wire that I can leave open so the starter won't engage. It is pretty simple and everything will look like the car is ready to start, but the starter won't turn. Just my plan to slow a thief down and so that my wife leaves my toy alone!!!
Ok a ground cable would probably be safer for a switch so long as the fuel pump is not a ground switched circuit.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:47 AM

Thanks, I will check it out, plan on doing this tomorrow during the day. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the old Teg, I used a simple high amp switch in an undisclosed location that just went between the + wire of the fuel pump. Ran it for ~2 years with no issues.

Quick Reply: Kill Switch