S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K20 Head and F20c bottom

Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TitusS2k,May 17 2007, 04:39 PM
I know its been done before, Head to head the F20 head flows better. But the k20 head there are a ton more cam/valvetrain options available. But its nothing a little machine work cant fix!
I don't know of anyone who's done it. Unless you can provide evidence of your claim (links articles etc.), it's better you don't post it. Facts only please.

The cam drive and chain system is different between the two heads.
It would cost a lot of money to modify a K-series head to work with an F-series bottom end - a lot of money for a downgrade in performance at that.

Food for thought: if the i-vtec system is so much better than "standard" vtec used on the S2000, the K-series would be putting out more hp in stock form. The highest stock output for a N/A K-series motor WILL be around 220hp in the new CIVIC Type-R.
i-vtec is smoother in transition, but doesn't put out any more hp than the S2000's vtec system.

As stated before: the AP1 and AP2 heads are better - and designed to work with the engine they're bolted to.

This reoccurring post must be a function of too many young S2000 owners spending too much time on K-series boards and listening to the ridiculous hp claims made on those sites. The only K-series powered car that has taken my S2000 was a turbo RSX(S). The kid went through two motors to boot. I've played with several highly modified N/A K-powered cars, and taken every one of them. The proof is in the pudding, not in the B.S.

The slated replacement for the S2000 will likely use a variant of the K-series engine in a RWD platform. Your dreams of modifying a k-series powered S2000 will be answered then.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually F-3 has been using F20 blocks and k20 heads for a while now and in a recent vtec club vol.4 they stuck the hybrid in to spoon's type-r civic.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jzz30,May 18 2007, 12:51 AM
actually F-3 has been using F20 blocks and k20 heads for a while now and in a recent vtec club vol.4 they stuck the hybrid in to spoon's type-r civic.
exactly!

Slipstream444
Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,May 18 2007, 12:40 AM
I don't know of anyone who's done it. Unless you can provide evidence of your claim (links articles etc.), it's better you don't post it. Facts only please.

The cam drive and chain system is different between the two heads.
It would cost a lot of money to modify a K-series head to work with an F-series bottom end - a lot of money for a downgrade in performance at that.

Food for thought: if the i-vtec system is so much better than "standard" vtec used on the S2000, the K-series would be putting out more hp in stock form. The highest stock output for a N/A K-series motor WILL be around 220hp in the new CIVIC Type-R.
i-vtec is smoother in transition, but doesn't put out any more hp than the S2000's vtec system.

As stated before: the AP1 and AP2 heads are better - and designed to work with the engine they're bolted to.

This reoccurring post must be a function of too many young S2000 owners spending too much time on K-series boards and listening to the ridiculous hp claims made on those sites. The only K-series powered car that has taken my S2000 was a turbo RSX(S). The kid went through two motors to boot. I've played with several highly modified N/A K-powered cars, and taken every one of them. The proof is in the pudding, not in the B.S.

The slated replacement for the S2000 will likely use a variant of the K-series engine in a RWD platform. Your dreams of modifying a k-series powered S2000 will be answered then.
Actually, it's widely and factually known that a K20a2 rsx-s motor with just Hondata reflash, dc race header, and an intake can spank an s2k even with i/h/e. The amount in which those motors are detuned from the factory is tremendous and their potentials are recognized. Your encounters with the RSX folks may have been with trolls or rice boys that don't know much about what they are doing, but with about a tad bit over 1000 dollars, the k20a2 can really hold its own.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by tbonesteak,May 18 2007, 04:55 PM
Actually, it's widely and factually known that a K20a2 rsx-s motor with just Hondata reflash, dc race header, and an intake can spank an s2k even with i/h/e. The amount in which those motors are detuned from the factory is tremendous and their potentials are recognized. Your encounters with the RSX folks may have been with trolls or rice boys that don't know much about what they are doing, but with about a tad bit over 1000 dollars, the k20a2 can really hold its own.
Widely claimed perhaps. All I hear is lame conjecture and no proof.

While a K20 benefits from i/h/e and a Hondata reflash fairly well - it's not as much as you may think - the claims are more marketing than fact. Hondata is happy to claim you'll get nearly 220whp with i/c/h/e/reflash. These are well overstated claims. And the cost is over $2500 for all the mentioned goodies, not the paultry $1000 claimed by "bonesteak".
Once again, I've gone against numerous N/A k-powered cars (they always feel they have something to prove against an S2000 - the opportunities are endless). Many of which had any combination of Hondata reflashes, i/c/h/e (one of which was a fellow pilot in my last squadron), and my S2000 pulled away consistently by a car length on the modified ones, a lot more on stock cars.
My friends car was professionally prepared (i/c/h/e/ecu) - and he was anything but a troll or rice boy. His car put out 197whp on the dyno, not the ~220 claimed by Hondata. He was obviously dissapointed by the results.
My car has i/e, 4.57 gears and a 2004 transmission. An intake and exhaust on the S2000 provide very little in direct performance. Their largest benefit is realized in weight savings. A total of about 25-30 lbs.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30,May 18 2007, 02:51 AM
Please post a link that demonstrates your claim.

Even if this is the case - this was not done to street car. How much do you think it cost to do this? Spoon Civic Type-R? How many modifications do you think it would take to put a RWD block into a FWD chassis? Sounds like a fishy claim to me. Remember - there's more than one F-series engine made by Honda (F22 used in Accords).

Back to reality: The OP was exploring the possibility of an economical swap (as in, will this bolt up with a few mods - answer being NO) - not a multi-thousand dollar crapshoot.
How many REAL people have done this, how much needs to be changed to make it work, and most importantly - how much will it cost to do it? As in: FACTS.
I think it's safe to say that none of the K-20 dreamers can answer any of these questions.
Unfortunately, the OP has mostly received garbage along the lines of: "ya, that would be cool cause k-series motors are badass, and I know this guy...", along with a list of parts read from an advertisement out of one of the sport compact rags. Not helpful.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 AM

K20 head is worse than the F20 head if you compare only the flow rates. But;

I- Vtec?
Tens of different Camshaft choices?

The best thing to be done is to put the k20head on F20 bottom, adjust the valve clearances (maybe change the pistons to stay away from valves), Polish the head, put the most agressive camshaft, put hondata (+h/e).

Drivebility in the low-end, for sure longer power band (maybe +10k with cams), and all Hondata goodies.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=slipstream444,May 18 2007, 11:42 PM] Widely claimed perhaps.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=slipstream444,May 18 2007, 11:43 PM] Please post a link that demonstrates your claim.

Even if this is the case - this was not done to street car.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it probably isnt cost effective and here is a link but it shows no proof of the swap but only which dvd to buy if you want to see for yourself, also its in japanese so whatever....
http://www.bestmotoring.jp/vtec_club/004/

Quick Reply: K20 Head and F20c bottom