S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N S2000 FIPK Installation

Old 08-18-2012 | 07:03 AM

so what do i do with the temp sensor, just leave it out? jut got my fipk lol
Old 09-28-2012 | 07:19 AM

CAn you use a OEM Vented hood with the this intake ?????? like if it rains and the filter would get wet right /????
Old 05-12-2013 | 10:53 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gmedalion1
Just install on my 07 but I didn't drill the hole for the air temp sensor. I just stuck it in the other hole where it was suppose to be capped off. No Cel and car runs fine and sounds great! Definitely some extra power noticed from the butt dyno. Will I see a problem not drilling the hole for the air temp sensor?
did anyone else with a 06+ DBW do this?

I'm planning on installing my FIPK tomorrow but just realized I don't have a 5/8 drill bit. The biggest one I have is 3/8 so wondering if I can just plug in the air sensor into the injection pump hole?

[EDIT] Nevermind ended up just drilling the hole
Old 06-07-2013 | 02:04 PM

hey i got a knn fipk intake to put on my dads 2005 s2000. am i going to have issues with the air temp sensor? do i have one??Name:  image2-1.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 08-24-2013 | 02:08 PM

I just installed this today. Took me about 3 hours. The most time consuming part was disconnecting the 11 year old hoses. Some of those were ridiculously stuck, especially the one connected to the free-spinning metal cylinder.

Things I learned about this process that I wasn't positive about going in:

The 2002 has an air injection pump, so all of the steps concerning the pump are required.
Inversely, there is no air temp sensor, so there is no drilling.

My only other meaningful issue involved the air control solenoid, the hard lines, and the air control check valve. The picture of step 12, specifically, makes it seem like you're disconnecting the second hose from the solenoid due to the way the solenoid hose lines up with the hose you're actually disconnecting in the picture.

With that said, my only advice is to look long and hard at the instructions when you're dealing with steps 10 through 17. You are indeed removing the piping assembly, and it will probably be ok.

All in all, there is no reason to be afraid of doing this yourself. If you rip a hose, the hoses they give you are long enough to cut and use elsewhere. In fact, you should probably cut them anyway, because they are long enough to rub on the belt which can create a whine you may mistake for an air leak somewhere.

I apologize for rambling, but I hope this helps someone down the line.
Old 02-15-2014 | 04:51 PM

Just finished the FIPK install on my ’05 AP2. After going through a lot of searches, I still had some questions. It all makes sense now. I saw there was a s2khowto.com website at one time, but looks like that link has been dead. Hopefully, below will help others that are giving this a try.

*** Still working on getting pix online

http://www.knfilters...7-3514_inst.pdf

Speaking for the ’05 (feel free to chime in for other years):

-You DO use the two holes in the intake. You won’t need that extra hose clamp, grommet, and cap to cover one of them (Part AA,AB,Z)
-You do NOT need to drill.
-There is an air control solenoid.
-There is an air injection pump.

The steps below refer to the official K&N Installation Instructions (57-3514)
For ‘05, SKIP steps 26a, 26b, 26c, 26d, 28a, 28b
For ‘05, perform ALL other steps except the ones mentioned above.

The official instructions state at Step 14 to use the LONG vacuum hose and Step 15 to use the SHORT vacuum hose and step. As another member pointed out, you’ll see that it makes for better routing to use the SHORT hose at Step 14 and LONG hose at Step 15. I tried it both ways and agree with the member (sorry can’t remember who) over the official instructions. The check-valve is further away from where it needs to go (upper hard line) , compared to the air control solenoid valve (lower hard line), so it only makes sense. I’m sure you could do it the official way, but you’d have to either cut the long tubing or tie it back so that it doesn’t get caught in the belts.

Overall, installation was a little more involved for an intake than what I’m used to , but certainly not tough. I’ve done an ITR, RSX-S, STi, and out of all them, this took the longest. The trickiest part for me was how to get that washer in place on the front-left mounting bracket of the heat shield. Instead of trying to snake my hand underneath the heat shield, it was easy for me to hold the washer in place from the left-side of the heat shield (you’ll see in pic). You’ll still need an extension to hold the nut in place underneath the heat shield as you screw the bolt in from the left side.

Another tip you might try on tight hoses….try rotating and turning the hose first if you can’t pull them out directly. I tugged on the one below the throttle body…nothin’. Rotating it around…came right off!

A lot of people posted the confusion of mixing up those two lines that could set off a CEL. I just paid close attention to how the stock tubing was before I unplugged anything. People have also posted the diagram too, just in case.

For newbies that are new to general mechanics, take the time to look at the exploded drawing and organize your parts on a tray.

I’ve got about 60 pictures during the install. I’m trying to create an Album for the install. In the Gallery, I tried creating my first Album, but it says I must select a Parent Album. Pull-down menu for selecting that has nothing to select for that field, which is a problem. Maybe because I just joined? Well, if someone can figure this out, I’ll definitely put them up.

I didn’t unplug the negative on the battery, but did let it idle for about 10 min before driving. The engine WAILS when you get above 5K…..nice. I’ve driven it for a couple of hours, no issues with install, no CEL codes.

Will add more comments once I get those pix online.
Old 02-26-2014 | 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ITR1220
Will add more comments once I get those pix online.
For my '05

K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-2dy5ik9.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-zyzq7a2.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-5zhusl9.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-3rlyjj8.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-ed0eul5.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-qtn0txe.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-6rdtpnc.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-zyzzans.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-nwqsio5.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-heb8tnm.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-hqzhdbm.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-3rkqh55.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-q0tne7d.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-cwsdvn6.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-kizgngu.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-4ozmayy.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-olajikc.jpg
K&N S2000 FIPK Installation-lkmatod.jpg
Old 02-27-2014 | 10:26 PM

it's good to see that someone is still posting in this thread

i just tried installing this on my 07', and i m confused with the instruction, quite frustrated

Do i need to follow step 9 to detach the coolant hose? if so, where do i reattach it? i dont see it in the instruction about where to reattach it

I am also missing the CAPLUG to cover the hole for the air injection pump, what can i use in place of this plug to cover the hole? (my 07' does not have a air injection pump)

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-3514_inst.pdf

thanks in advance for any help!!!
Old 02-27-2014 | 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ninjaboy.666
it's good to see that someone is still posting in this thread

i just tried installing this on my 07', and i m confused with the instruction, quite frustrated

Do i need to follow step 9 to detach the coolant hose? if so, where do i reattach it? i dont see it in the instruction about where to reattach it

I am also missing the CAPLUG to cover the hole for the air injection pump, what can i use in place of this plug to cover the hole? (my 07' does not have a air injection pump)

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-3514_inst.pdf

thanks in advance for any help!!!
Once you detach the coolant hose, check out step 18. That's what you'll replace it with (use part E - 1/4" ID hose).
Not sure what you can use as a caplug though. You can probably call K&N and order the missing parts for you install, i remember doing that to complete an AEM intake kit back in the day; i don't see why K&N wouldn't do the same.
Old 03-04-2014 | 06:15 AM

Old thread but my kit arrived today. Are we saying it's ok to just use the existing and unused opening for the AIT sensor on the right side of the tube, or just drill a new one. I don't see why it would not just be better to use what is already there instead of capping it off.

Quick Reply: K&N S2000 FIPK Installation