S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N S2000 FIPK Installation

Old 06-13-2011 | 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by silence808
This was one of my first mods. It's been about two years, and I'm still happy with the FPIK. The only regret I ever had was not installing my hood dampers first; those came in a day later and would have made working in the engine bay easier!

I've noticed the slight 'whistle' as well, but it sounds just like the louder whistle/hum you get when driving with the stock air box, lid open. I don't really notice it unless I'm listening for it.

I recently picked up a strut bar that will necessitate cutting a notch into the heat shield, but that's an easy dremel job.

I can't speak to whether the FPIK is more susceptible to heat bog. I've never gone the CAI route, but the FPIK feels no more affected than the stock air box. Then again, when it's summer in Arizona and 115 degrees out... performance is going to suffer!

I've got a FIPK and was looking to get a strut tower bar myself. Which one did you get that necessitated cutting the FIPK heat shield? Just curious, thanks (I think I am going to ge tthe GP Fab strut bar).
Old 06-13-2011 | 12:39 PM
Community Organizer

^I think the GP Fab strut bar w/ the heat shield should work well; I'm thinking about getting this combo as well!
Old 10-03-2011 | 04:23 AM

Just install on my 07 but I didn't drill the hole for the air temp sensor. I just stuck it in the other hole where it was suppose to be capped off. No Cel and car runs fine and sounds great! Definitely some extra power noticed from the butt dyno. Will I see a problem not drilling the hole for the air temp sensor?
Old 03-17-2012 | 11:38 AM

hey i have a question just installed my intake today on my 07 but didnt have a drill for the temp guage would that be a problem for now i plan asap to drill a hole for it but for now just wondering? my dash shows something like V** i forget but just let me know
Old 03-18-2012 | 02:14 AM
Community Organizer
10 Year Member

I did drill the hole for the temp sensor in my 06. Since I didn't have a big enough drill bit to make the required size, I used the smaller ones I had. Then, with a dremel cylinder sanding tool, I slowly extended it out until it fit the grommet used to hold the air temp sensor. Sometimes you just have to be creative with the tools you have. I defintely don't recommend cutting it out with a knife, you need a nearly perfect round hole for the grommet to fit in properly. Oh, and don't do what the instructions say and drill it while its installed on the engine block. You don't want any shavings from drilling it out. K&N should have had the intake come with the hole, and provided the customer a different grommet which would have filled that hole if the car was an 2000-2005 model.

Name:  NewIntake7.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  180.5 KB
Old 03-18-2012 | 10:36 PM

The whistling sound you guys are hearing is air passing over the throttle plate in the TB when it is at a very specific angle. That's why you only hear it at those RPM. I hear it all the time with the top down and find it annoying as hell. Especially when I set my cruise at that exact RPM on the interstate and have to lower/raise it ~100 RPM to make it stop, lol. Kinda sucks, sounds like a cricket stuck in a long chirp.
Old 03-19-2012 | 05:43 AM

If I don't hear the noise, then I know I have an issue !
Old 06-29-2012 | 04:07 PM

So after the fipk install we have to reset the ecu by taking the fuse off for a few minute??
Old 08-17-2012 | 11:03 PM

My butt dyno says, worth every money for this minor upgrade. I love the sound, and boy do I get to 90mph quick. Next year at the Dragon the cars gona be way more fun.
I love my S2k. Best buy ever.
Old 08-17-2012 | 11:03 PM

My butt dyno says, worth every money for this minor upgrade. I love the sound, and boy do I get to 90mph quick. Next year at the Dragon the cars gona be way more fun.
I love my S2k. Best buy ever.

Quick Reply: K&N S2000 FIPK Installation