S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N Oil filter commentary?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regardless, the Filtech is an inferior product, that is well documented
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respectfully disagree. This thread involving the dissection and comparison of both versions convinced me that the PCX is actually quite well made:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=473347&st=0
Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Hm. I have another interesting idea. NEXT oil change ill try run the ZX special M104 filter. ill try see how long the oil stays 'clean looking' - its not the best method nor is it very scientific for how clean/how good the oil is, but 'dark' oil = suspended crap, right? the PCX actually kept my redline oil VERY clean. ill try do one PCX chop (filtech), one M1 chop, use M1 for hte next oil change for 3Kmiles, use filtech for 3K miles (if i havent given up by then).

ill try take pics after every 1K miles to see which one looks 'better'

hopefully ill stick with the plan .

+ill check every so often to see if the M1 is backing off..the PCX has yet to budge (marked the top with sharpie).
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

respectfully disagree. This thread involving the dissection and comparison of both versions convinced me that the PCX is actually quite well made:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=473347&st=0
the filter media/performance is still inferior to the K&N and M1, which is really the point of this thread...anyway, I'm not sure what cutting open a filter really proves, aside from glaring QC issues
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

[quote name='ikeyballz' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:52 PM'] Hm.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

^yeah i remember reading about the m104/m105 difference. Maybe I will go all out with the UOA and everything. no promises anywhere..except for the two cut up filters w pics for all....where i wont say which one i 'feel' is better..just the cold hard facts.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One picture borrowed from 90crvtec (hope he doesn't mind )
One picture borrowed from the ntpog website (hope they don't mind)
On the ntpog website they say the M1-104 has 107.8 square" Filter Element Surface Area.

Its clear to me.
Some are going to argue that the pics are not in the same perspective but IMO the M1-104 filter cartridge is shorter.
Look at the diameter of the endcaps and the other parts in both pics and then look at the paper filter hight in both pics.
The M1-104 filter cartridge is shorter.
Period.
The filter medium may (or may not) be better but there is less of it in the M1-104 compared to the 15400-PCX.
Period.

PCX for me.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

You are referencing outdated information my friend. Period.
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml
that is an older M1 filter

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfi.../reference.html
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

according to the above link, the Ryco actually has the highest filter media area of all of them...looks like a quality piece, but I'm sure it's expensive

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/oil
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

ok. so i chopped the filtech with much difficulty.

im currently uploading the pics.

first comment id like to make is:

DAMN the filtech cover is THICK. The construction, as far as i can see anyway, is very good. Remember though, that this is the first oil filter ive chopped so I dont have anything to compare it too. Ill go pick up a M1 filter soon to chop.

It ttook me a good 15min with a dremel using a cutoff tool to get the damn thing scored enough to knock the cover off.

2nd comment:
the filtech gasket is great. ive used fram, M1 before but I dont think the gaskets on those come CLOSE to the filtech (PCX) gasket. It feels more silicon then rubber, although Im not sure which it is.

now for the bad stuff: The filter media, like stated before IS a bit 'furry'. it seems like its totally made of cellulose...basically, cardboard. the pleats are nice, orderly and bonded to the outside caps extremely well. It seems like the end caps are totally coated in an adhesive, then the filter media is sandwhiched between the two. This results in NO glue/adhesive leakage over any of the filter media, as I've seen on a Fram filter. NO OTHER ADHESIVES ARE USED! the rest of the filter appears to all be sandwiched together or spot welded together.

Random info: Filter media surface area = 54 pleats, 2 sides each, height of 6cm, width 1.75cm, grand total of: 1134cm^2.

Bypass valve is METAL, feels very sturdy. It wouldnt not close when i fiddled with it. Ill try come up with a way to calculate the spring constant so you can calculate the pressure needed to activate it, but for now...the diameter of the valve is 2.5cm.

Opinion wise, as far as my 2cents goes...(everyone ignore this now)..

the filtech is very well constructed, I DOUBT the bypassvalve will fail, and i also doubt any other part of the filter will 'fail' from normal use, if the filter I cut open is an average one. I am NOT impressed however, by the filter media! Its actually quite terrible, in my honest opinion. I guess I cant be sure what terrible is, but the way it just tears apart in my hand cant be good, i think. It might turn out to be like the Paper element filter is better than a synthetic/fabric/oiled AIR filter, but for now, as far as I can see...the filter media is subpar.

ill post up pics of the way it tore..it felt like I was ripping cardboard.

now im really wanting to rip open the M1 to see what sort of filter that is.

hope you all take that w. a grain of salt.

enjoy the pics:

Top chopped off with Dremel

first look in

filter fuzzzz.

ripping the filter media off the core.

filter ripped off, center sort of torn to show the bypass valve

kitteh for good luck.

Quick Reply: K&N Oil filter commentary?