S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N Oil filter commentary?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually get them for $8 or $9, in fact AutoZone had a buy one, get one free not too long ago, so I stocked up...perhaps the price has gone up

there was a rumor that a cheap, off-brand Wal-Mart filter was also made by Champion and is similar, I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed

looks like the new Royal Purple filter is also made by Champion
http://www.champlabs.com/

more info
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfi.../reference.html
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for 2007 Zx-10 for not hi-jacking another thread and suggesting a RX7 FD oil filter.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

the FD oil filter is about 1/2 the size of the S2000 filter, which is kind of shocking to me because I regularly see > 100 psi oil pressure
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=473347&st=0

It seems this was addressed back in August.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote from Mobil1
[QUOTE]Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose
Old 01-03-2009, 04:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only used PCX-004 filters so far on my S2000. I've been happy with them so far. Insolubles are reasonable on UOA's and don't appear to be increasing wear as a result. I have not done a particle count yet though to see if there is something greater in size than a UOA will see.

To me, it doesn't make much sense to change to an aftermarket filter for the S2000 until you can figure out why Honda spec'd a filter specifically for the S2000, and all the other Honda inventory uses another filter. Also, what are the specifications (ADBV, bypass differential pressure setting, flow rate, beta ratio and micron filtering capability, construction pressure limits, etc.)? Until you can answer these questions, how can you feel assured that you have chosen the correct aftermarket filter for your S2000?

If you look up a filter on an aftermarket website for the S2000 and find that the same filter is recommended for all Honda engines and not the S2000 specifically, then I would be highly suspect of it being a better choice than the PCX-004 filter.

I have used a K&N oil filter (two of them) on another application with high expectations, but was disappointed. On the first one, the ADBV failed after 700 miles, and then the ADBV failed after 1000 miles on the second one. How do I know? Because my truck started to have cold start-up noises (rattling and knocking) similar to the sounds of a dry start when I put a new filter on after an oil change. Even though K&N uses a silicon ADBV, it starts to leak after awhile and eventually the oil canister is empty for the first start of the day. The oil filter is mounted horizontally, similar to the S2000. Start-up noises are something you should look for if you use the K&N.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Banned

To me, it doesn't make much sense to change to an aftermarket filter for the S2000 until you can figure out why Honda spec'd a filter specifically for the S2000, and all the other Honda inventory uses another filter.
c'mon, so, the S runs somewhat higher pressure and flow, it's still an anemic little 4 banger...it's really not a big deal, the M1 and K&N easily exceed the required performance spec for these filters and are very tough (at least the old style Champion filters within the past five years, refer to the previous link I posted)

Also, what are the specifications (ADBV, bypass differential pressure setting, flow rate, beta ratio and micron filtering capability, construction pressure limits, etc.)? Until you can answer these questions, how can you feel assured that you have chosen the correct aftermarket filter for your S2000?
because there isn't anything magic about the PCX, it's a standard marked-up, mediocre quality filter...the fact that Honda keeps switching manufacturers is all the more proof they are concerned first and foremost about maintaining profitability, which is why I rarely use OEM parts unless it's required, and never for consumables

I have used a K&N oil filter (two of them) on another application with high expectations, but was disappointed. On the first one, the ADBV failed after 700 miles, and then the ADBV failed after 1000 miles on the second one. How do I know? Because my truck started to have cold start-up noises (rattling and knocking) similar to the sounds of a dry start when I put a new filter on after an oil change. Even though K&N uses a silicon ADBV, it starts to leak after awhile and eventually the oil canister is empty for the first start of the day. The oil filter is mounted horizontally, similar to the S2000. Start-up noises are something you should look for if you use the K&N.
how long ago was this? I've run K&Ns and M1s on my bike, FD, Camry (and now the S) for years and never had any issues....if anything, the FD is a good test of a filter because the engine runs high oil flow and pressure through a small filter housing
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very aware of all your arguments and would agree under many circumstances that you would be correct. But not for the S2000 for the reasons that were previously mentioned. Since you don't appear to have those same concerns, then by all means go aftermarket.

I used two K&N HP-1002 oil filters last year and the ADBV failed on both as previously described.

I vaguely remember a few K&N oil filter incidents on S2Ki, but could only find this one:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...t=0&#entry81292

I also seem to remember one where the can actually burst, but can't find it. I'm not aware of any similar defects so far with the PCX-004.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 PM

I would just use the OEM filter if I were you...that's all I use and I really ahven't heard of people on here having problems with it...they're cheap and you can buy'em in a pack from www.handaaccessories.com (don't forget to get the crush washers as well)

that is really a case of if it's not broken don't fix it
Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:41 PM
yes

M1 or K&N are the best filters commonly available, without going to a remote mount set-up

I took alot of flack here for using an M1-104, but the fact is it works very well, after 3,000 miles the oil still looks great (light gold color)
No, you didn't take a lot of flack for using an M1-104. You took a lot of flack for being rude, sarcastic, argumentative, and not showing proof of your so-called factual statements. We could care less what filter you use.

I admit that the M1 is an excellent filter, but you can't say it's better than the PCX without proof. Proof makes it a fact. In the absence of proof it is an opinion. An opinion stated as a fact is a lie. The more you lie, the less friends you will have on this site.

There is more to a filter than what filter media is used. I highly suspect that the PCX filter was designed for optimal filtration without going into bypass during VTEC, and a more restrictive filter with a similar-sized media would go into bypass. You assume that filter media efficiency is the only important thing, and you make claims as if they are facts and that everyone else is wrong. Nobody knows whether the M1 filter goes into bypass during VTEC.

Quick Reply: K&N Oil filter commentary?