S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N FIPK Vacuum Line/CEL

Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N FIPK Vacuum Line/CEL

Got a CEL on my way home from work this evening. I was in the parking lot and it came on about 2 seconds after starting the car. I popped the hood and noticed that one of the long vacuum lines that was connected was rubbing on the belt. The rubbing had caused it to wear away and a small hole had opened up. I popped it off and fixed it (happened to be that the hose was long enough that the shredded piece could be removed and the rest of the hose was more than long enough to work).

The CEL stayed on so I figured I should reset the ECU to clear it (limped the car home at 3k in every gear to be safe). Did that, ran it for around 5 minutes then took a quick drive. CEL is off and I have no issues what so ever at this time. I hope tomorrow is a CEL free day as well. I was going to check what the CEL was but Advanced Auto Parts was busy as heck and I was pretty sure I knew why the CEL was thrown.

Any thoughts on my situation - I think I took care of it appropriately but wanted some feedback before I go off tomorrow and possibly do some damage.

Another thing bothering is the loud whistle I get with the intake. I also have the Q300 exhaust, but I am pretty certain the whistle is coming from the engine bay. It occurs during acceleration between 3000-3500 RPMs (or at least that is the only time I can hear it). It just seems like an odd occurrence even though I have read that its not unusual for an aftermarket intake, especially if its SRI.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM

The CEL should stay away if the only issue was that vacuum line. The whistle is from the Intake as I have the same intake and the same whistle in the same RPM ranges.

-Froth
Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 PM

^Thanks for the input. I am glad to hear I am not the only with the whistle and while its not frustrating it is rather odd.

I think I took care of the CEL issue as well, but like I said, wanted to hear some others inputs to make sure.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM

I just installed mine last night and was wondering about that hose getting in the way, I'm going to check now.

I also have the Q300 and there's no whistle just a loud pop when I shut it off.

Also wanted to say that this intake sounds incredible, VTEC WOW!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At certain loads and RPM's, my FIPK whistles as well. Usually the lower RPM, low load situations. I think it sounds badass. When the air rushes passed the TB, at a certain throttle position, it'll whistle.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Good to know others have the whistle with the FIPK as well. Again, not frustrating or bad even, just thought it was odd. Comes with the change I suppose.

Yeah, the long tube provided is, well, long! I didn't realize it would be laying against the belt. Luckily I caught it as it broke and there should be no damage to the engine. She sounded fine last night, ran as great as usual, so I'm hoping I fixed the problem, cleared the CEL and can continue to enjoy the vehicle.