S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N FIPK users

Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default K&N FIPK users

For the FIPK users out there, does anyone know what the giant screw clamp does? K&N refers to this as the "saddle clamp". It is the giant silver screw tightened clamp to the right of the heat shield that wraps around the intake tube. I have seen some of these saddle clamps installed towards the inside of the heat shield (towards the filter) and I have seen some clamps located in an area such as this pic shows. K&N shows the saddle clamp the same way this picture shows, but does it have an exact location and purpose??

vs

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered this as well on my K&N FIPK. Couldn't really come to any conclusion so I left it alone.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it holds the intake still..
Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

but is there a specific orientation that the clamp should be in??
Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought that it went on the out side of the heat shield. I don't think it would matter much, sense it just holds the intake still.

I really need to get my AUT cooling plate on. Should look great with the FIPK.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 AM

I just installed my FIPK last night and my install directions looked like the first pic. I presumes it was a means to hold the tube in place.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Apparently my FIPK is slightly older than yours, I've got more of a tray than a strap. I installed my tray, just half a strap basically, in the same spot as the first picture (to the right of the heat shield) and then installed my own gigantic hose clamp over it to secure the intake tube down.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a question for ALL the other FIPK guy users too (not to thread jack..sorry op)

when you guys hooked up the intake tube, did you guys match it up to the TB? For some reason K&N gave us that oddly shaped donut coupler for it, and it'll install with the intake tube/tb NOT lined up... why not give us just a straight coupler so its always lined up??

Also, I installed it 3 different ways on my car and here are my results:

1) first try, didnt think about lining it up - it was misaligned + not butted up against TB - LOUDer intake, you could hear the "WHOOOOMP" as you stomped on the throttle and visually see the tube shift towards the intake.

2) Figured I should line it up, space between tb and intake tube still there... not as loud, still can see/hear the movement

3) butted up against TB, aligned. quieter.

so my question is, WHY?!?! why kn...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope this helps

Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Aug 27 2010, 01:20 PM
I have a question for ALL the other FIPK guy users too (not to thread jack..sorry op)

when you guys hooked up the intake tube, did you guys match it up to the TB? For some reason K&N gave us that oddly shaped donut coupler for it, and it'll install with the intake tube/tb NOT lined up... why not give us just a straight coupler so its always lined up??

Also, I installed it 3 different ways on my car and here are my results:

1) first try, didnt think about lining it up - it was misaligned + not butted up against TB - LOUDer intake, you could hear the "WHOOOOMP" as you stomped on the throttle and visually see the tube shift towards the intake.

2) Figured I should line it up, space between tb and intake tube still there... not as loud, still can see/hear the movement

3) butted up against TB, aligned. quieter.

so my question is, WHY?!?! why kn...
I used the coupler and haven't had any issues.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK users