S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N AirCharger...10hp increase

Old 06-23-2002, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the K/N Intake in my '01 and it went very smoothly. My car was stock to this point and I have no experience with AEM/Comptech/or any other CAI in order to make a comparison to them. Here are my thoughts on stock vs K/N:

Install: Not bad. There was no major problems and all of the parts you need are supplied. the only additional things you need are some basic tools (wrench, sockets, etc.) I followed the directions to a T and did not even have to consult the owners manual or any other part reference. The pictures are helpful (albeit small and black and white) and the descriptions are detailed enough to get the job done. It took me about an hour and a half to do the install...anybody with any mechanical experience would probably finish in less than an hour. The most difficult step was fitting the insulation to the heat shield, IMO.

Sound: World of difference. I find that there are three different forms the sound can take. 1. While just cruising around (not stepping on it or v-tech), it sounds much like the stock intake. 2. With hard aceleration (not v-tech), there is a very throaty sound compared to stock....sounds like a "big" car. 3. Hard acceleration through v-tech is AWESOME! If I knew it would sound that good I would have done this long ago. Psychologically it is a big boost, and I see many other mods in the near future.

Performance: Definite difference. Some say you wont be able to feel the horsepower increase but they are wrong. There is definitely more pull and drive and you can feel the charger sucking air like a villain. If there is only a few HP increase, you probably will not feel it, but I think the 10 HP claim is valid...not because I spent the money and dont want to look like a fool, but its true.

I am not posting any pics, because the setup is exactly what is depicted above, even down to the spa yellow exterior. The only thing the pictures dont show is that the new intake is much lighter than stock airbox, and smaller too. It leaves alot of open space in the bay...I wonder what I can fill it with.......

If anyone in the NY Metro area wants to see/feel the new intake, please let me know. I wil be happy to show it off.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:51 AM

Does anyone who has installed the K&N intake ever have a check engine light come on??????
Old 06-24-2002, 11:06 AM

I have it installed and no check engine light has come on.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:32 AM

No check engine light, sorry.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:43 AM

Hmmm... looks like the Spoon 'scoop' still could be used. I will keep this K&N in mind...
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by striklybidnis
It leaves alot of open space in the bay...I wonder what I can fill it with.......

An oil catch can might come in handy!
Old 06-24-2002, 12:52 PM

In the interest of as much ambient temp intake air possible, I think it would be nice to combine the first part of the stock intake housing with the K&N setup.

I'll have to look at my setup and see how it jives with the K&N pics.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:27 AM

Sorry guys, I just came in this discussion a bit late. I've got a K&N air filter on my S and there is no way in the world you'll be getting 10hp out of it! It sounds great when V-tec kicks in and there is a little gain gain in the power. However not enough to make the car faster, more torque at least. Cheers!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:13 AM

You have a K&N Aircharger, or just the K&N filter? Could be the difference you see/feel.

Oil catch can....I'll keep that in mind!
Old 06-27-2002, 05:41 PM

I gave up on superchargers and ordered my Aircharger today. I don't want to spend $5000+ on something that only make the car marginally faster and by the time my lease is up i'll want the latest S2000. My hope is that this Aircharger will tweak my engine sound and give a little umph. K & N has always put out quality stuff.

Quick Reply: K&N AirCharger...10hp increase