S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N AirCharger...10hp increase

Old 06-14-2002, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fperra
[B]As promised earlier, here is pictures of my K&N Installation.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:59 AM

This appears to be the same configuration as the Comptech except for the "bulge" in the tubing leading to the throttle body. Comptech claims this creates a "reservoir" of air to increase throttle response. Yea OK. I also believe that aliens are monitoring my every move utilizing the chip that was installed when I received my flu shot.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:14 AM

i will state for the record, that my experience with cars is pretty limited. CAI's are of no exception. i just put on an Injen and really, besides the sound (which makes the psychological affects pretty dramatic), i, personally have not noticed or felt any gains in torque or hp. a couple of hps are hard to feel anyways, right (IMO)? i know what the dynos say, but as of yet, i am unsure. this is not indicative of the true gains of the CAI though. i am infamous for having something fast and getting bored of it very quickly and feeling as though it is too slow (rode many sport bikes).

ANYWAYS, one thing i can say about the K&N...it looks much safer, in regards to water intervention, unlike the Injen and AEM (which are located so close to the ground). but, the setup seems a bit like a regular hot air intake....i'm really not sure, so if you guys could give me some input that would be great.

personally, i think i like the K&N better than my Injen....IF the gains are the same. so far, i've seen the dynos and the Injen seems to be the best so far. IF the K&N turns out good, i'm assuming many ppl will see dynos soon ( ) and it is even close or more (would be awesome) than my Injen, i will purchase the K&N for the peace of mind (water hazard...arghhh). thanks all.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:06 AM

Yes, I would also really like to see what the K&N can do. I'm very close to getting either the comptech, PRM or the K&N. Fperra, can you give us you first thoughts and impressions of the K&N. What does the old butt dyno tell you.
I've used Injen in the past and found it to give the best results with a smaller diameter pipe leading to the throttlebody, so I don't think that to be an issue.
If it works as well as all the others, then good.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:23 AM

I didn't measure the ID, but the OD of the pipe is the same as the OD of the throttle body flange. The bulge between the pipe and throttle body is nothing more than a flexible silicone rubber connection used to couple the two together. My seat of the pants tells me much better throttle response. Whether this translates into faster acceleration, I can't say. The sound on
VTEC has changed from a lions growl to a tigers roar.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:28 AM

How much does the K&N go for? If it's much cheaper than the others, then that will help me make up my mind as to what intake I'm going to get. -Thanks.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:36 AM

Check out this hyperlink for price.

http://www.performancecenter.com/branduser...=S2000&sf4=2.0L

Price is discounted to $267.14
Old 06-15-2002, 09:50 PM

If I have the in stock box k&n filter can I just buy the tubing and heat shield and save some cash? Is it the same filter?
Old 06-15-2002, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick
[B]If I have the in stock box k&n filter can I just buy the tubing and heat shield and save some cash?
Old 06-16-2002, 08:11 AM

fperra, couple of questions:

- Can you compare the sound of the K&N to the stock airbox with the top removed? I would suspect that the K&N might be a bit quieter due to the enclosed space with the hood down....?

- Any guesses about clearance for a strut tower brace? I was planning on the one from Muz, but am concerned that the K&N heatshield extends too far to the rear to fit a strut brace. Maybe you could measure and provide the distance from the back of the K&N box to the front of the engine? Then we could ask Muz to compare to his strut bar install...

FWIW, I strongly prefer the way the K&N intake is located higher than the other CAIs. We get frequent heavy rain here and although I would not intentionally drive through deeper standing water sometimes you may have to do this to get home.

Quick Reply: K&N AirCharger...10hp increase